Monday, March 13, 2006

I got hit with a BANANA!

So my co-worker Brian and I are coming back from lunch Monday and I'm driving down Charles St. almost at Loyola when someone in a a car going in the opposite direction of us tosses a banana from the passenger side. The banana floats through the air and lands smack in the middle of my windshield.

My reaction [in my mind]:
Slam on breaks...Turn around and chase this m*th%rf#ck@r!

My reaction [in reality]:
Turn to my co-worker and say "I'm glad you're in the car with me!"

Had I been in the car with one of the boys from around the way, my reaction in my mind would have been a reality (most likely). I am glad that was not the case because only God knows what would have happened.

I found the whole situation ironic in a way. You see, at the moment that banana hit the windshield of my car, Brian and I were talking about the movie CRASH and the racial stereotypes addressed in the movie. To me, this was ironic because I am a young black man riding in the car with a young white man. But, I will bet ANY amount of money that if I were in the car with two or three of my "homeboys" (lets just say one guy with a durag on, another with corn-rows, and another with a stocking cap on his head...Which is quite realistic in my case), that banana would never have been tossed in the air.

Now I'm not saying that the reason that the banana was tossed was because it was ME in the car. What I'm saying is that if it were ME and a couple BRUHS, whoever tossed that banana may have taken a look at the passengers and thought twice. So to me that's kinda funny/ironic. Maybe I'm looking too deep into this thing but I don't think so.

In retrospect, I am glad I handled the situation the way I did and I am glad that I was not in the car with a bunch of my boys from back home because there would have been some drama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a couple of your "round the way homeGRYLS" that wouldn't have been so positive either homie...LMAO!
Naw but you did the right thing...a naner isn't worth the drama...

Anonymous said...

Yeah. You're right. I am definitely glad I had the sense to just let it go.