Monday, March 20, 2006

No-No-Ni99a! You ain't slick!

Awhile ago, I had a post about Damon Wayans and his attempt to trademark the word "Nigga". I remember saying something to the effect that I thought it was pretty dumb and would probably be a disservice to black folks if he didn't flip the usage of the term into something positive. Well, it appears he's been turned down...AMEN!

I know he wanted to start a clothing line called "Nigga" but I think that would have done more harm than help to the already deragatory tie between black folks and the usage of that term.

What I found interesting in the article is that some guy from Houston did try to patent the word and kinda flip the meaning of it into something else. THAT, I can appreciate. It's still a touchy situation but at least he had seemingly good intentions. Nowadays you never really know if someone's intentions are genuinely good or if they're just out to make money.

In any event, at least Mr. Wayans won't have the opportunity to potentially ruin his family's name by doing something dumb. And even more important, he won't have the opportunity to possibly promote a racial slur across the country as if it's "trendy".

No comments: