Monday, January 22, 2007

We R Family

This weekend I had several of those "man I love my family to death" moments. So, I gotta share!

Moment #1: I realized that my younger brother is really mature and a gentleman. I've always thought that my parents did a wonderful job of raising my brother and I, showing us how to be respectable gentleman.



But my brother showed me this weekend that he's an even greater person than I could have imagined and that he's as loyal and close to his friends as I am to mine. MAP, what you did was really commendable and special. I'm proud of you!

Moment #2: My mother made this bangin' shrimp salad this weekend and packed a little tupperware container full of it so that I could bring it back home with me. My mom always makes salads and stuff like that. She loves to make pasta salad, chicken salad, and experiment with other types of salads and they all turn out great. So much so that I have had some of my friends make special requests that my mom make her pasta salad for the parties that we have. But every once in a while when I come home, my mother will make one of her salads without telling me that she's making one. So I'll be out with my buddies from 'round the way and when I come back to her house, I'll have a special container in the kitchen waiting for me. It's like her little gift to me that I can take home and enjoy. It's definitely one of those special things that my mother does for me that really keeps the bond she and I have strong. It's definitely the little things that mean the most!

Moment #3: As my mother, stepfather, and I sad in their bedroom and went through my cruise pictures, my mother smiled at all the pictures where I was obviously under the influence of alcohol. My mom knows that I drink but I don't think there's been more than one time when she's seen me dancing under the influence of alcohol. So she gave me that "I'm surprised at you but I know you were having a good time" look. Maybe it's this picture that tipped her off (LOL). My stepdad, never to be out-commented by my mother, asked me about all the young ladies in the pictures (LOL). I also gave my mom (and grandmother) a copy of the formal picture I took (shown on the right-hand column) while on the cruise. She loved it!

Something I learned about my family that I never knew:

My mother proposed to my stepfather. This has been kept on the hush-hush since 1985! I was pretty shocked when they told me this. I really thought it was something they should have shared a long time ago because it's one of those "secrets" that it would actually be good to tell your kids about. I always assumed that my stepfather proposed, but it turns out that my mother proposed to him! Kudos to you mom because you picked a great guy!

This is only the second case of a woman proposing to a man that I have been privy to. It really hit me this time because it was MY PARENTS! Very interesting and thought-provoking stuff.

It's funny in a way because I always joke when people ask me why I'm not married and say:
"Whenever someone proposes, I'm down!"
It's not a serious comment because I definitely see myself proposing to some P.Y.T. some day, but it made for some interesting irony in my mind this weekend when my stepfather told me that my mom proposed to him.

By the way, P.Y.T. is one of my favorite Mike-Jack songs aside from my number one all-time, "Rock Wit You".
I Want To Love You (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You Need Some Lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
And I’ll Take You There
I Want To Love You (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You Need Some Lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
I’ll Shake You There
More classic Michael Jackson:

"You gotta feel that heat, and we can ride the boogie! Share that beat of LOVE!"



I gotta get one of those outfits! For HALLOWEEN!

No comments: