Friday, April 22, 2011

WebNerd Alert: Google to offer Notebooks for sale AND LEASE


The latter part of the title to this post is what makes this not-so-formal announcement really interesting.

Google apparently/allegedly plans to offer:
  • Notebook computers with their Chrome OS
  • They'll be available for "purchase" in June/July
  • They can be purchased as part of a subscription service for $10-$20 per month per user
  • Google will provide hardware refreshes as they are released
  • Google will replace faulty hardware for the life of the subscription
This is pretty cool people!!!!

The first thing I thought about when I read this was all the people who may not be able to afford a notebook computer at all that *may* now have access to a computer much easier now. I say "may" because a subscription-based model leads me to believe that there will be some sort of credit check and contract required and some people that can't afford a notebook (not even a cheap one) may not be approved.

Aside from that, leasing a computer that you will presumably download software/OS updates to via wireless and get FREE hardware refreshes as they are released is a pretty big deal. Hardware refreshes for the life of a device is pretty big. I wonder what the full description of a "hardware refresh" will be though.

In any event, this is a very interesting move by Google and reinforces my theory that they are out to takeover the entire world. You can check out the full post where I learned all of this information by clicking the link below:

Exclusive: Chrome notebooks confirmed to be released June/July

Also, more on Google Chrome OS:

Google Chrome OS

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You remember Pinky and the Brain, well the brain grew up and started Google. As for Pinky...I don't know what happened to him.

Sidenote: I think it's ji funny that my word verification for this post is kingorip, like King O'Rip as if I was Irish or something...OK I'm reaching now, it was just funny to me.

Anonymous said...

LOL at the Pinky reference.