Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Today, in Questionable Vigilante Justice News

Vigilante: A member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate); a self-appointed doer of justice (source: Merriam-Webster Online)

Clearly, these clowns in Florida have a thing for vigilante justice. First, George Zimmerman, now this idiot, Michael David Dunn.


Apparently (read: allegedly), Mr. Dunn took it upon himself to pull up to a convenience store, see that there were a group of kids in an SUV playing loud music and asked them to turn down the music. From there, an argument ensued (shocker), and ended with Dunn firing 8 shots into the SUV (killing one person) and then fleeing the scene with his girlfriend who had arrived at the store with him.

There are a couple of interesting observations I made when reading the Gawker article about this incident:
  1. Dunn was in town for his son's wedding and had a weapon in his possession. I don't know about ya'll but I doubt my parents will be packing heat when they head to my wedding ceremony. Maybe he was gonna leave the gun in the car (I hope) but really, why does he need the gun? I don't know about gun laws in Florida but I'm guessing that you can carry a gun around for no good reason (no, the right to bear arms isn't a good reason) and as a result, shyt like this can happen. If he did not have a gun on him would anyone have died? There's my contribution to gun control in the U.S. Stop letting just any ole' non-active-law-enforcement mofo walk around with guns just because they have a permit and are a self-described "gun collector".
  2. Why can't people just mind their own business and keep it moving? Seriously! I'm not gonna be out of town pulling up next to kids in an SUV telling them to turn down their music. I'm gonna do what NORMAL PEOPLE DO, shake your head and/or laugh and walk into the store saying something slick in my head, get my stuff, walk out, shake my head AGAIN, then promptly get back in my car and leave. Loud music ain't hurtin' nobody and it's only temporary if you're going to the store and then leaving. Stop trying to be a daggon vigilante! I could see if you saw these kids raping someone in the SUV, then it makes sense and you should do something. But playing loud music, c'mon son!
Of course, there are 3 sides to a story and I'm sure there will be more facts to come but this feels too Trayvon-esque to not raise an eyebrow and wonder why people at least two people in the state of Florida seem to think that they have the authority to serve their version of "justice". This is gonna remain my perspective on this unless it's proven that these kids fired at him, threatened him with a weapon, or in some other way posed a physical/deadly threat to him.

No comments: