Thursday, July 26, 2007

PIMP C is stupid? Ehhh, not so much...

I have yet to figure out why so many people have denounced his radio interview with an Atlanta radio station as ludicrous, unintelligent/stupid, or downright dismissable. The only thing I can see the man being guilty of is being hilarious. But even while laughing at his comments during this interview, I couldn't help but feel him on a lot of the points that he made.

I have ran across a lot of blogposts that lead me to think that people feel what he said wasn't worthwhile, but I beg to differ. I think Pimp C said a lot of things that others wouldn't have the guts to say and a lot of things that were just brutally honest. The man obviously expresses himself in a hilarious vernacular that may hinder him actually getting his point across. But yet-and-still, a dummy can listen/read between the lines to figure out the points he's trying to make if they just tried.

It's a lot easier to just dismiss him as a loudmouth, old, angry southern rapper than it is to actually think about what he said and whether or not it makes sense. At least that seems to be the case. I won't sit here and say that everything he said in that interview made sense (the time zone thing for example), but I will say that the majority of it definitely made sense to me. Just because he says funny stuff like "feelings is like booty-holes", "a fight go with that", and "get off the boo-boo" does not mean that he isn't making some good points.

Think about some of the stuff he said in the radio interview:
  • "On these records everybody lying. Everybody is these d-boys, every body these hardcore gangsters...Truth be told, we too blessed and we having too much money is this rap game to be going to war with each other."
  • "If we don't clean it up, we gon' lose everything we fought to get...At the end of these records we listen to, we don't get nothing out of 'em no more...We don't get no social commentary. We ain't getting no kind of knowledge."
  • "If you gon' talk about some squares and talk about the drug game, you need to talk about the bad side of it too!"
  • "It ain't no need to embarrass nobody that ain't done nothing to us...Everything done in the dark is gon' come to light...If you ain't proud of what you do, then don't do it! And if anything you're ashamed of, you shouldn't be doing!"
  • "And I was not going to leave my family on the side of the road...If you don't like that and you don't understand that, then you don't have no understanding about life! And anybody who that put this rap game or they job or anything ahead of their family or God, well shame on you!"
  • "We need to stop doing all this negative stuff!"
Pimp C said a LOT of real/true stuff in that radio interview. If you can't see through all the funny statements and slang that you aren't used to, then that's on you for not paying attention. He is speaking on integrity among artists' relationships, artistic integrity in general, and he shows that he really cares about the southern hip-hop movement. Hell, he's one of the pioneers of that movement so who better to speak on it? I hope ATL folks/rappers don't get all worked up about this because the man was telling the TRUTH! For the most part.

Pimp C might not have been right in everything he said, but he's definitely thinking the right way. And I bet you won't hear other artists challenging what he said. The original O-Zone article is to the left and is a bit more scathing and seems more off-the-cuff and reckless. But I think that he cleared up everything in that article while doing the radio interview.
NOTE: Funny how the bleeped "fa**ot" in the interview, but they don't bleep ni**er

Pimp C - Knockin Doorz Down

8 comments:

Deja~I~Am said...

I didn't think he sounded stupid either. Some stuff was kind of shaky, ie "We put God first" and then saying later "we can box it out, stab it out..." Don't think God would agree with that Pimp. But whatever. All in all, I think he was talking some real stuff, he mos def. wasn't faking.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he had some inconsistent statements like the one you mentioned and also one dumb statement about ATL not being the south b/c you have to change to east coast time.

But in-between that type of stuff he was making a lot of sense and you can tell that he has some sense and has formulated a fairly decent assessment of southern hip-hop culture and some of its artists.

I think that a lot of people who either live in or love ATL just got all bent out of shape off the whole time zone thing and the "crunk started with 3-6 mafia" statement.

But again, I would put money on it that you probably won't hear any rappers challenging what he said. And it's not because of seniority either.

K.C. said...

This is my Man!!!!!...and oddly enough I thought he spoke rather eloquently??? Funniest part..."they gon' smell my cologne..." OMG...I thought I was gonna pass out!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call it elegant per se, but he made his points. LOL.

K.C. said...

I'm just saying....Dude talked for 15 straight minutes without so much as a pause or a stutter...I was a bit impressed.

Anonymous said...

Wow. LOL.

You could tell he had some really strong feelings about what he was talking about. He was definitely on cruise control with his talking.

Southern_Lady said...

Being a Memphian, I can say that the concept of crunk definitely started in the M. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing...

On another note, I love Knockin Doorz Down!

Anonymous said...

The beat on Knockin Doorz Down is just sick.