Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blackberry Media Sync WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?


If there's one application for the BlackBerry that was at the top of my wish list it was an application that would allow me to synchronize my iTunes library (or perhaps just pull select music from the library) with my Music library on my BlackBerry Storm. Well today I did a little webnerding Googling and happened upon a solution that is not only working well, but it's a legitimate BlackBerry application provided by RIM (Research In Motion). I am making note of it being RIM-distributed because third-party applications for phones can be unreliable, shytty, or don't get full update support once the application has been launched. That probably won't be the case with BlackBerry Sync with RIM being the distributor.

As I type this post Blackberry Media Sync is synchronizing one of my favorite iTunes playlists with the Music Library on my BlackBerry Storm. That's ForTheWin, people!

So here's the quick run-down of the BlackBerry Media Sync specs for BlackBerry users:
  • Sync iTunes OR Windows Media files with your Blackberry. You can sync a single playlist, multiple playlists, or your entire music library. There's even an option to add "random music to free space" available on your device memory and/or memory card (whichever you happen to use for music storage). Not sure whether or not I like that option though.
  • You can use any Blackberry device that has BlackBerry Device software version 4.2 or later.
  • You have to have iTunes version 7.2 or later OR Windows Media Player 10 or later.
  • You have to have Windows XP SP2 or later OR Mac OS X version 10.5.5 or later.
If this sounds good to you, I advise you to go here, download the application and try it out. It's easy to install once you've downloaded the install application.

To give you an example of how it works I'll tell you what I did.
  1. 1. Downloaded and installed the application (ummm, duh).
  2. Opened the application and added a playlist and clicked the SYNC button.
  3. I then waiting for the music to finish syncing and looked at the Music Library on my phone. It scared me initially because it showed that I had NO MUSIC at all. So I "safely" disconnected my BlackBerry and turned my phone off and back on. Still no music. So I ended up doing a hard reset/reboot (pulled the battery out and put it back in) and then my Music Library showed all my old songs PLUS the new playlist I'd added. that was it.
The process of adding a playlist is about as easy as backing up your BlackBerry. And for those of you that don't regularly back-up your BlackBerry I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you start doing it weekly.

I'm glad to see that RIM rolled out support for this because now I can make my travel and workout playlists in iTunes and not have to worry about carrying around my iPod (which is actually dead right now) AND my phone. Now I can carry 8 gigs of music on my phone which is probably just enough for me on my vacations and my workouts.

THANK YOU RIM!

Below is a screenshot of what the application looks like...

No comments: