Thursday, August 13, 2009

Workplace Shenanigans

I promise this is true...

Over the past month I had two instances at work where someone has taken the headphones that I leave on my desk and not asked, left a note, or otherwise notified me that they would be "using" them. Then, miraculously they reappear in the exact same spot where I left them but only after about 2 days have passed. Well make that ONE instance where they've been returned. I'm still waiting for them to be returned after the second shytuation.

The headphones are really crappy (no ear padding left) and I have iPod earbuds and another pair of headphones for my BlackBerry so I don't really care that much. But sometimes, it's the principle, right?

When it first happened I was pissed but I said to myself and to my co-workers: "I'm not going to blow the whistle and call for an all-out investigation [by reporting it to the building manager], I'm just gonna see if they show up sometime in the next couple days." And two days later, they did.

I assumed it might have been a practical joke and my co-workers were in on it and kept that sentiment to myself and left it alone. But curiosity led me to jovially ask all of my closest co-workers a couple times each, and they all denied having any involvement. Knowing them and their personalities, I believed them. They'd have chuckled a bit if they knew something and they didn't do that.

Two days ago, it happened again. I again complained out loud to anyone in ear-shot that they'd been taken again. This time everyone seemed a bit more shocked and wondered who it might have been. I tried to take this one in stride like I did the first time and not trip but then I got a little pissed. One time, ok. You took em for a few days, didn't say nothing, but returned them. I can deal with that. But don't do it again like it's all good. Now we've reached the point where off general principle, I want to smack the machiatto/mop out of your hands when I see you.

But since I can't go around questioning people about some cheap-azz $2 headphones as if it's as important and vital to my worklife as the stash of Ciroc I have in my desk, I decided I would just leave this person a message.


Yes, I signed it!

The headphones have yet to re-appear this time and I'm not holding my breath. But if I catch whoever it is, it's going to be some words exchanged and potentially some "furniture moving" in this office. I'm gonna hate having to Terry Tate somebody up in here.

7 comments:

Rah said...

f'in hilarious! lol!

Anonymous said...

It's wild. Still no sign of the headphones though.

T.a.c.D said...

the note-CLASSIC!
I would have been HEATED you hear me! that's just jacked the heck up! who does that...i mean really

T.a.c.D said...

"know that God don't liek UGLY" omG that's Classic! i love it!
you did better than me because i KNOW i wouldn't have been that professional and nice esp after the second time!

Anonymous said...

@TC: I ain't really trippin off the headphones, at this point it's the principle. By the way, they still have not shown up.

A. B. said...

This is crazy. The note is a masterpiece!

Anonymous said...

Ill shyt is that the headphones have not and probably will not be returned.