Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thoughts on the Rap Nominations for the Grammy's


Best Rap Song

“Niggas In Paris” – Jay-Z & Kanye West: This is a great nomination for this award. A popular song but not so pop that it doesn't feel like a hip-hop/rap song.

Daughters” – Nas: Deep down, I really hope this song wins because of the topics Nas addresses but it's not going to happen.

“Lotus Flower Bomb” – Wale: Dope song and one of my top 3 off of this list. I'm rooting for Wale because of his DMV ties and the fact that even though he's signed to Fat Ricky he hasn't completely tried to emulate or poach the down south rap swag like other artists from up north (see: Fat Joe, Diddy)

“Mercy” – Kanye West ft. Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz: This would be a landslide to win in my mind if there wasn't that horrible part of the song where Kanye changes the beat during his verse. I may be more opposed to/disgusted with that part than most people but it takes away from the overall quality and flow of the song. I'd bet though, that this has a really really good chance of winning.

“The Motto” – Drake ft. Lil Wayne: My favorite song out of all of these listed here because the joint just bumps. I'm imagining that this will finish in the top 3.

“Young, Wild & Free” – Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa ft. Bruno Mars: This is a pop song, it should not be listed under the Best Rap category just because it has rap artists on it.

Who do I think will win? Well, I'm rooting for Wale and I think that "Lotus Flower Bomb", "Mercy", and "The Motto" should be the 3 finalists. But in the end I think it's going to be between "Niggas in Paris" and "Mercy". Either way, Ye Tuda gonna win.

Best Rap Album

Take Care – Drake: I don't think this is Drake's best work but I understand why it's on the list. I don't think this album should win though.

Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album, Pt. 1 – Lupe Fiasco: I haven't listened to this album all the way through yet but I'm guessing Lupe does some of his usual addressing of social issues and "the industry is some bowlshat" banter on here so I'm not mad that he's nominated at all. Lupe drops a lot of dimes but nobody really listens.

Life Is Good – Nas: My personal opinion of this album is that it's really good but has been prematurely exalted to classic status by Nas stans due to Nas's history of not-all-that releases and their dying urge to call something Nas has done within the last decade a classic.

Undun – The Roots: I haven't listened and although I like The Roots I still think it's BEEN time for that Black Thought solo project.

God Forgives, I Don’t – Rick Ross: Really? This (like Drake) is not Ross's best work as an album (see "Trilla" and "Deeper Than Rap"). "Deeper than Rap" set the bar for me as far as Ross albums go and this one isn't close to being as good as that. Another Curtis beef or Jeezy beef and Ross might be able to make a truly classic album. Until then, I guess he gonna churn out that post-poverty but I still need my streetcred dope boy shyt.

Based On A T.R.U. Story – 2 Chainz: Clearly, this is the "it's still a popularity contest" entry. 2 Chainz raps but he is by no means the best at it. he makes catchy songs and is quite entertaining. If this is a popularity contest and not a contest about the best album, 2 Chainz should win. If this is about the best ALBUM, he shouldn't even be on this list. No disrespect to him because he has his lane and he's doing his thing but this album is not an award-winner in my opinion.

Whose gonna win? This is either going to go to Aubrey (Drake) Graham or to 2 Chainz. I know, I know, it sounded just as crazy as I was typing it as it did when you just read it.

Best Rap Performance

First off, I'm confused by the title of this award. When we say performance what do we mean? Performance on stage? If so, when and where? Performance in a video? Ok, I can see that sort of. I just don't get how you judge the best rap performance. It's not like all these folks showed up at the same time like a cheerleading competition and performed. Anyway, that's just my little axe to grind with the title of the award.

“HYFR (Hell Ya Fucking Right)” -Drake ft. Lil’ Wayne: I ain't never seen this performed but I kinda like the song.

“Niggas In Paris” – Jay-Z & Kanye West: Here's your winner. They performed the song in Paris with Mary Kate and/or Ashley backstage. How can they NOT win the award?

“Daughters” – Nas: Video was cool. I like the song. Not sure how this is gonna be judged as a performance though.

“Mercy” – Kanye West ft. Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz: If we're counting the video as a performance, I think this should be in the top 3 for winning this award. That video was simplistically dope.

“I Do” – Young Jeezy ft. Jay-Z & André 3000: Mehhhhhh. This song was sooooo over-rated because of that Andre verse.

Kay-Z should boycott the Grammy's next year if they don't win this category.

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration

“Wild Ones” – Flo Rida ft. Sia: I've never heard this song but I will admit that I like "I Cry" by Flo-Rida.

“No Church In The Wild” – Jay-Z & Kanye West ft. Frank Ocean & The-Dream: Since when did Terius Nash get added to the list of artists associated with this song? I guess he must have ghost-wrote that hook for Frank Ocean. Oh yeah quick question, what happens when you put Frank Ocean, Kanye, and The Dream all in a darkly-lit studio by themselves? Yeah, I don't want to know either. But I would love to hear the song that came out of it, lol.

“Tonight (Best You Ever Had)” – John Legend ft. Ludacris: This song was pretty avergae to me.

Cherry Wine” – Nas ft. Amy Winehouse: This song is HANDS-DOWN the best collaboration even though Amy is dead. Then again, maybe Nas will lose points because Amy is dead. Who knows. Either way, this is the best song listed out of all these categories and should have been up there for Best Rap Song. Definitely one of my favorite tracks of the past year.

“Talk That Talk” – Rihanna ft. Jay-Z: This was a solid radio track but Rihanna is better seen than heard in my opinion (even though I like the Diamonds joint). This joint ain't gonna win.

Nas, go get your award SON!

No comments: