Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dumb Rappers Need Teaching: The "I'm Not Even a Rapper Yet" Edition

In what I would think is one of the dumbest decisions by a college recruit in the history of collegiate athletics, this kid Jay Harris aka Jay DatBull decided to give up his football scholarship (read: free education) to Michigan State to pursue of all things, a "rap"... "career". How stupid is that? I feel bad for this kid because he clearly doesn't have the support system in-place to make good decisions for himself and he clearly doesn't have enough world knowledge yet to make good decisions for himself.

But hold fast, apparently he was actually stripped of his scholarship because he put a bunch of profanity-laced videos on YouTube (rofl). And from there, his reasoning for pursuing his rap career was:
"I've been thinking about doing this for a couple of years now...I try to take advantage of every opportunity I get and for him to like my music and reach it to me, I really appreciated that. I’ve always had this in the back of my head, but never had the courage to tell my parents that this is what I want to do." (source: The Philadelphia Inquirer via The Bleacher Report)
First off, he said he likes to take advantage of every opportunity he's given. Oh really???? Second, who in the world reached out to him about liking this music??? Third, you don't have the courage to tell your parents what you really want to do but you have the courage to put your profanity-laced (and quite horrible) rap videos on YouTube? This kid's all over the place. This highlights just how much young kids nowadays don't get it and need responsible adults and role models in their lives.

Moreover, there's a gigantic difference between giving up your scholarship to pursue a rap career and getting your scholarship revoked then saying, "Oh yeah I wanted to rap anyway so Imma go ahead and do that. Also, he raps just like a kid that's gotten hit in the head too many times on the football field so I'm not so sure his rap career is going to take off. Then again, Gucci Mane has made a living off of rapping like he's mentally disabled or got hit in the head a bunch of times. I mean, nobody may believe in your dream but you and "do you" and all that jazz but ummmmmm, yeah.


Last but not least, I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a SINGLE PERSON in this kids life who mentioned to him that you can rap, play football, and get an education all [Future voice] at the SAME DAMN TIME! [/Future voice]. I hope someone that really cares about this kid sits him down and has a talk with him about his life and gives him some solid advice. Or maybe someone has already and he's just determined to do what he wants to do. Either way, I hope things work out for this kid in life, not necessarily in rap.

No comments: