Thursday, September 1, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I haven't made a blog entry yet in regard to this storm because I am still kind of in shock as to all the details I am hearing and how bad it was. I keep telling people that I feel like I am watching CNN and seeing something overseas. Because being an American, we're lucky enough to not have to go through certain things and not be subjected to certain situations. I think this is why everybody was so shocked on Sept. 11 when the terrorist attacks took place. We don't expect these types of situations to hit home!

Well, Hurricane Katrina is living proof that not even America is immune to HUGE natural disasters that can wipe out an area the size of some second- and third-world countries. It hurts me to see all those people stranded and hear the term refugees. Call me ignorant, but before this hurricane, I always thought of refugees (mental picture that is) as people coming across the ocean in boats. But I am totally wrong. These people need REFUGE! They need water, food, clothing, and many other things. Seeking refuge in the Superdome...Seeking refuge in the Astrodome...Seeking refuge on rooftops, anywhere that seems stable and safe.

I feel the need to assist these people in some way, shape or form, but at the same time feel like I cannot help at all. It seems so huge that it's like "Will my little bit of assistance help?" Yes, it will.

This is the worst natural national disaster we've encountered since I've been an adult and man oh man...Articles like this say it all...

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=7493

I can't find words to express how bad I feel for everyone in New Orleans and the other states affected by the store as well as all their relatives. Sometimes you feel like you want to do so much and at the same time like you can't do anything. It's time like this when I realize that I need to pray and give my problems to the man above. I'm sure that for many of us, this is one of those times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the news only gets worse by the day
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/

Anonymous said...

The letter from Mike Moore says how I really feel...

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?id=183

Just continue to pray...I totally feel you...its one of those times.