Friday, September 23, 2005

YOU SHOULD STOP FRONTING....Why We Gotta Front?

Let me tell you guys a short story...

Yesterday when I get home from work I see my main man 50 grand BHill standing in front of my door talking to my next door neighbor (let's call him "W"). Now we have to keep in mind that "W" is a pretty funny-acting dude. Funny-acting as in he don't really mess with me or BHill but he will speak to us (what-up type ish) here and there if he has to. So basically, we don't really F with this dude like that.

But yet and still, we're all grown men so we can have a conversation among one-another. So I pull up and he and BHill are talking and I walk up to them and they're discussing child-support. W got a couple kids and BHill doesn't, but he knows a decent amount about the child support system in Bmore. So I walk in on their conversation and dap both of them up and kinda sit back and listen waiting for BHill to end the conversation so I can rap with him.

What I overhear is "W" talking about a way to get one of his baby mothers (yes, one of) to cut him a deal so he pays her $1000 so that she can get child support office to clear him $10000 in rears of child support payments. What this means is that homeboy owes $10K he hasn't paid and he's trying to get his baby momma to go to the child support office and clear that $10K in exchange for him giving her $1000. Okay, that's the first half of my story.

Second half. "W" eventually gets off that topic and starts talking/bragging about how good his credit is and how he's now getting offers from crditors in the mail to start accounts with them. "W" also has a small business. Keep that in mind.

"W" proceeds to brag about his credit score and then ask BHill and I about OUR credit scores. First off, this dude never ever has had a conversation with either of us before. Secondly, he definitely don't F with us, just like we don't F with him. Why's he asking about our credit? Why's he telling us about his? Who knows?

BHill and I both proceed to give him as little knowledge as possible about our credit histories. So "W" continues to brag and eventually mentions that his small business can bring him $10 or $15 in a week! WHOA! I found this to be amazing considering this dude is renting a 2-bedrm townhouse just like me (and it ain't expensive, this is Bmore). On top of that, he's got beautiful credit according to what he tells. Why wouldn't he be in a nice house somewhere? Hmmmmnnnnnn? I don't know. So he continues to brag on his credit, his business, and complain about his "wife" (although he has no wedding ring on) who I assume is the girl who he stays with. Because he speaks socasually about baby-mommas and women in general I don't know if he's really married or just saying that. But he does live with a girl so I guess I'll roll with the marriage thing.

Anyway, I say all this to say. Why does a dude who you know doesn't really mess with you like that start a conversation about his personal business, inquire about your personal business, and then brag on his credit and his business? WHY? Because he's FRONTING!

So I ask you, why do we feel the need to front? Let's take "W" for example. Why does he feel the need to pump himself up so much? It's obvious his credit and business situations are not as good as he says. The dude rents in the same complex I rent in and he doesn't have a day job (just his business). He is home all the time (so how much business can he really be doing) and I hear him complaining (through the thin a$$ walls in our townhomes) about money to his "wife" all the time, though he doesn't know I hear his loud a$$. So WHY does he need to pump himself up to two guys he otherwise wouldn't even acknowledge? I DON'T KNOW!

But what I do know is that there are tons of other guys like him who do the same bamafied sh&t! It is funny to me, but I wish we could all just be real. Everybody talks about keeping it real and they real and this-and-that, but most of us are the exact opposite. FAKE! Hiding reality to make people (who don't know any better) think we're doing big things. Think about the club. How many men and women are in there dressed like they're straight out of a rap video and then you see them leave the club and get in a beat-up car (not to mention they are riding like 5 deep in the car) and head home? How many people do you know that stay looking flyy, but don't have money that appreciates?

I guess it's like Kanye said..."We tryna buy back our 40 acres." Or "I'd do anything to SAY I GOT IT/Damn them new loafers hurt my pockets". I guess we all have fallen, fall or will fall victim to it at some point. With age comes wisdom and experiences like the one describe above help ME GET WISER.

No comments: