Monday, December 10, 2007

Now it makes sense...

A few weeks ago I questioned whether Ron Mexico was stupid or suicidal. Well now it appears he's neither and I was short-sighted in writing that post. Yes, I said it.

Today I just found out that he's only going to do 23 months in jail. Yes, ONLY 23 months. Or maybe I just know too many people who were locked up for like 5-10 years? My sentencing barometer could be off I guess. For all the hoopla and the destruction of his "reputation"/name it turns out this guy is only going to do roughly 2 years in jail. And considering he turned himself in a month ago (just about), he'll only really be doing 22 months in jail. Knowing a little about how the prison system works, it would not surprise me if he were out in a year and a couple months or after he's served 75% of that sentence.

So Vick's move to go "in" early was probably prompted by knowing that he wouldn't be doing as much time as most of us probably thought he would. He could only have been sentenced up to five years anyway (wow). But I'm sure his lawyers had an idea of how much time he'd get or a they had a deal in the works. One thing I found interesting was that the prosecutors recommended only 12-18 months in the bing for Vick. But the judge (shot out to the Virgina judicial system) decided he needed to dodge anal rape for a bit longer than that.

In hindsight it could be considered ironic and perhaps effed the eff up that Ookie's Mike Vick's reputation and career have been ruined because he bankrolled Bad Newz Kennels and murked (or assisted in murking) some doggies. Crimes that we now learn will only get him 23 months in the slammer. From all the media coverage, you'd have thought they were going to electrocute him the way they electrocuted those dogs at Bad Newz Kennels. Granted, I've never been a big fan of dogs (not to say they should die, however) and I've been a huge fan of Mike Vick (on the field) so maybe I'm just biased. So what! My point is that even if I was not biased this man's reputation has been shat upon continuously since the story broke and now he's doing less time than someone who got caught with an illegal firearm in the state of MD (click the link, read the last paragraph). This reminds me that we should pray for Tippord.

Sidebar: Also note in the last paragraph via the link how "dealing" firearms will get you 5 years but being caught with an illegal firearm will get you 10 years. Interesting. If you think about that along racial and/or economic lines, who will be dealing the firearms and who will be possessing an illegal firearm? You do the math. Now I'd continue to rant about how sentencing laws for cocaine possession vs crack possession are based on similar mathematics, but that's not the point of this post.

Back to Vick. To be honest I am glad to see that he isn't getting the book thrown at him even if the judge did give him more time than the prosecution suggested. Although I think what he did was wrong and that he should be punished, I thought that the media's coverage was unfair and so much damage has been done to this man's reputation that even after serving his "debt to society" he'll find it hard to achieve success again in anything he does. It's like Dave Chappelle said, once you're famous you can't become un-famous, but you can become infamous. And for Mike Vick, that may prove to take more away from his life than a couple years in jail.

4 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

i still think that the book was thrown at him 23 months for dog fighting...as you stated the math and things don't add up most times with convictions and like you also said, this man was dragged through the mud and some more over this...then the money he had to spend to care for the remaining dogs, unreal! the quote you stated is very true indeed

Anonymous said...

23 months? Nah. Homie financed a dogfighting operation and helped kill dogs. Dogs aren't people but they're still a living breathing animal that lots of humans love.

He probably would have gotten more time if he didn't take the plea and show remorse.

I mean a lot of dudes who have been in will tell you that 23 months is a walk in the park. I'm sure it's not a walk in the park unless you've been in for longer than that before and I am sure it won't be a walk in the park for Mike Vick. But still, I think it could have or would have been a lot worse so I am glad it's only 23 months.

T.a.c.D said...

true it could have been worse, but if the DA said 12-18 months, so he would have done what 9-15 months, which seems more reasonable...but you know hey...it is what it is...

Anonymous said...

Good point. But your idea of reasonable and my idea of reasonable doesn't really matter. The judge makes that call in the end and you know how they roll in the commonwealth state.

They be giving bamas more time than a little bit.