Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Spain does not care about Chinese people

If you're like me, you probably won't notice at first that in the above picture, the Spanish basketball team is "pulling at the sides of their eyes in a slit-eyed gesture" (source: Guardian).

This is allegedly a "good luck" advertisement for the Olympic team. Riiiiight. Good luck in the Beijing (China) games is looking like you have slit eyes? WTF?

I'm not sure how that particular photo/pose is supposed to bring good luck (I'm not learned of Spanish culture I'll admit though I love me some Penelope Cruz) but I do know that that particular gesture is some ignorant ish. Now that I think about, my ignorant azz used to do that as a child trying to mock Chinese kids. Obviously I didn't think it was a big deal as a child because I knew that it was a "no-no" and couldn't understand the real significance of racism and hate at that time. Yet-and-still even as a child I knew it was at the least a "no-no".

Which leads me to the real problem I have with the picture. How could adults think that this is okay and actually publicize it under the guise of being a gesture of good luck? This is analogous to the LeBron Vogue cover. Someone should have stopped and thought: "Man this is some disrespectful ignorant-looking shyt!" But I guess that's what it really means to be racist.

Now I have an Olympic basketball team to root against. SMH.

3 comments:

M.C. said...

Yeah I saw this mess and it is a downright disgrace. From what I know of Spaniards, they are very racist. When black French soccer player Thierry Henry got traded to Spain to play, he ended up playing for the Spanish national team and got called a "black shit," by the coach and some of the players. Their racism is REAL over there, so this doesn't surprise me.

Unknown said...

Dumb and stupid. Completely lost respect to Spain. They have reach the new level of low. Sad indeed...

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that *some* Spaniards roll like that. I guess I'm just going to have to boycott Spanish women. NOT.