Thursday, July 2, 2009

Video: Drake - Best I Ever Had

"I have just been sittin' in this cell thinkin' what I coulda done to make my first video ground breaking" -- Drake "Goin In For Life" (Comeback Season Mixtape)

Ummmm, FAIL!


First impression...Tig Ole Bitties.

What is up with Drake and his cardigans?

Funny thing is that in the face Drake looks old enough to be a HS bball coach.

What does basketball have to do with this song and vice-versa?

"When you're out there and they put that 'D' on you. Take that 'D'!...And you all know good and well what we can do in 2 minutes" <-- WOMP!

I'm not sure what Kanye was trying to do with this video but I definitely didn't expect anything like this. This video is made for 106 & Park where nobody really cares if the video correlates to the content of the song. Drake, I expected better!

And the fact that there are probably lots of other people out there that expected better may end up being the biggest challenge Drake has to face. Living up to the hype. Lyrically, Drake is dope and nobody is denying that. But at this point he's been put up on such a pedestal it's probably going to be hard to meet most people's expectations. If this video were from someone you'd never heard of who wasn't getting radio spins without a deal or selling out venues across the country off the strength of a friggin mixtape, this *might* be a good look for a first video. But for Drake, it just won't cut it.

If you ask me, Kanye set Drake up on this one. I would not have signed off on this joint if I was Drake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was totally confused!! The girls lost at the end...how are they the best? I dont think I would let Kanye do any of my videos...he is known for those crazy ass videos (see flashing lights).

Anonymous said...

Yeah man. I am totally disappointed by this video.

M.C. said...

Umm, yeah! The whole time you kept wondering where the video was going in relation to the song, but it just didn't happen. Kanye was probably on some, "this is going to be some avant garde" type ish! He clearly needs to stick to rapping/producing/gym shoes. It looked like his "girlfriend" directed the video.

Anonymous said...

@mclaw3 = @AmberRoseHater#1