Thursday, December 10, 2009

Weekly Football Picks - Week 14


I'm now in 3rd place after a relatively bad week. I'm down by 3 points with 4 weeks left in the season so my new name is "3-Points 4-Weeks". Original, I know. This week is one of those tricky weeks with some divisional games that were tough to pick (ie - Giants/Philly) and a few teams with some must-win games against tough opponents (ie - Dallas).

I'm looking to pick up a point or two on the leader this week. I haven't taken any picks that are completely insane (or at least I don't think so) but you can judge for yourself.

Pittsburgh over Cleveland...The weather's going to be near 0 degrees (yes, ZERO) in Cleveland and Pittsburgh's not afraid of playing in that type of weather. I'm not so confident in a mediocre/horrible Cleveland team being able to face this weather and the fact that they suck to beat Pittsburgh. Even if Hines Wards ends up not playing and they don't have Troy, I still think the Steelers toughness as a team wins this game for them. I expect it to be somewhat close though because of the weather.

New Orleans over Atlanta...I wanted to take the Falcons, I really did. But I just can't. After the scare last week against my Redskins of all teams, I think the Saints are going to put on a clinic unless the Falcons can get some sort of a running game going. I do believe that the Saints will lost this season though and my guess is that it will either be at Dallas next week (especially if the Cowboys lose to the Chargers this week and Philly beats the Giants) or at Carolina during the last week of the season when it's a divisional foe and the Saints will probably rest a lot of guys.

Green Bay over Chicago...Green Bay's defense is playing very well and they can score in Chicago in any type of weather. With all that said, this is a divisional game and it would not surprise me one bit if Jay Cutler threw 4 TDs and they routed the Packers. That's just how the NFL is sometimes when it comes to divisional games. But yeah, I'm picking the Packers.

Indianapolis over Denver...The puzzle that was the Denver Broncos was solved by the Ravens several weeks ago and the Broncos have yet to recover. And unless Dumervil sacks Peyton 5+ times this game I don't see Denver winning. Unlike the Saints, I don't think that the Colts will lose this season. The only team that I think will be tough for them after this week is the Jets in the next-to-last week of this season. You cannot under-estimate Peyton Manning. If he's playing more than 2 quarters you've gotta put your money on the Colts at this point. The game at Buffalo in week 17 will be a tough one as well (especially if the weather is bad) but in the end I think Buffalo might beat themselves in that game even if the Colts are starting their 2nd stringers.

Kansas City over Buffalo...Kansas City beat the Steelers at home and I think they'll play well this game.

Cincinnatti over Minnesota...I believe that Cincinnatti's defense can contain Adrian Peterson. He might get a score but he won't dominate them. The loss of E.J. Henderson is going to be very important this game I believe. Cincinnatti in an upset.

New England over Carolina...No explanation necessary.

Jets over Bucs...The Bucs are going to make this one interesting but since the Jets are great at stopping the run and the pass, I'm not sure how Tampa will manage to score enough points to win. The Jets are starting Kellen Clemens but they run the ball better than any team in the league and the Bucs can't stop the run.

Miami over Jacksonville...Miami can play good football when they want to and I think that they'll win this game. This is one of those toss-up games.

Baltimore over Detroit...Ravens fans will be going wacko for Ray Rice after this one is over. Maybe even Flacco too! But again, the Ravens are not for real this year. Get over it Baltimore!

Houston over Seattle...Can't stand Seattle. Can't stand Houston's undpredictability. Houston wins this game at home though.

Tennessee over St. Louis...Chris Johnson runs for 200+ and 3 TDs.

Washington over Oakland...My sole reason for this pick is that the Raiders suck at stopping the run. The Redskins can run the ball and I think that they've been getting better and more competitive over the past few weeks. I'm going with my Skins this week. And naturally, they'll friggin lose, lol.

Dallas over San Diego...I went back-and-forth with this pick for a while. Dallas is NOT FOR REAL just like the Ravens aren't. San Diego always goes on a mid-season winning streak and then loses a game JUST LIKE THIS ONE and still somehow manages to limp backwards into the play-offs. I really think that San Diego should win this game but I just don't think they will. Even with Dallas's record in December and the CowGirls not being legitimate to me, I still think they will win this game. I blame all this on Norv Turner. Great offensive coordinator in Dallas, mediocre coach in San Diego.

Philadelphia over New York...Philly can stop the run. The Giants pass defense is lackluster at best. DeSean Jackson is going to play. This does not bode well for the Giants unless they can get consistent pressure on McNabb. Hold up, they shouldn't have any problems putting pressure on McNabb! Man, this is another tough pick. I'm sticking with the Eagles though. I just don't believe in the Giants secondary or their offense.

Arizona over 49ers...The 49ers are talented on defense but they won't stop the Cardinals from scoring. And the Cardinals defense is playing really well it appears (though they might just mail it in this week, lol) so I'm going with the Cardinals.

No comments: