Thursday, April 6, 2006

What Would Michael Do?

Last night I watched the highlights of the NY Knicks VS. the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavs just so happen to be my second favorite team in the NBA (after the Wizards) because I'm a HUGE fan of Lebron James.

Last night, I watched LeBron do what he seems to do just about everytime I watch him play. Throw down 30 points, grab at least 5 boards, and dish out at least 6 assists. And I am being modest on his behalf here. Not to mention he usually grabs a steal or two.

What I also watched last night was LeBron exhibit his best and worst quality, unselfishness! This guy can drop 40 points per night if he wants to quite easily, but he does not! This is because he wants to get his teammates involved and make them better. I completely respect and appreciate that. But he has to do a better job of knowing when to shut that off and go str8 "MJ" on em! So in the last 20 seconds of the game, I'd like to tell you what LeBron did, followed by what Michael would do.

What LeBron did:


With the game at 92-94 (Knicks up), he took a drive to the basket and layed it up with ease (game tied at 94). The Knicks then come downcourt on the next possesion and Jamal Crawford sinks a jumper to make it 94-96 (Knicks up). At this point I'm already thinking "LeBron better take this damn shot!" Instead of doing just that, LeBron comes down the court, drives again (and I'm thinking "Oh shyt! He's about to take the shot!") and sees Larry "I was okay last year, hurt this year, and have never really been a star without a bigger star beside me" Hughes open in the corner for 3. LeBron gives it up to Hughes for the wide-open three which I thought had a chance to go in actually, but in normal Larry Hughes beyond the 3-point line style, GANKED OFF THE RIM and the Cavs lose! The camera then goes to LeBron where he does this facial scratch thing that translates into "Man, this ni99a is a BUM! I should have just dunked it!" Well King James, YOU'RE RIGHT! You gotta realize you're the star and you get paid to take that shot! Only if there's no way on God's green earth that you will get the shot off do you pass.

What Michael would do:


I apologize in advance for insulting your intelligence by even typing it. You already know. Michael would have drove for the same bucket to tie the game at 94. Then he would have guarded Jamal Crawford and not let him get that shot off. The game would have went to overtime where Michael would have scored the first 7-8 points for his team and locked down whoever else on the other side of the ball was expected to score. The only way Jordan would have lost the game is if some bum made a lucky jumper or layup.



LeBron should go back and watch some old tapes of MJ in his prime and even in his not-so-prime and take a few notes about hogging the ball when necessary and playing tight defense on the other team's star player. Kobe seems to have this mentality but it seems that he just cannot do it by himself every time. LeBron though, has a chance to learn from both Kobe and Michael. He better get to learnin'!

No comments: