Monday, July 14, 2008

Barack is trying to say something...

Numero uno, by insisting that "Blacks show greater responsibility for their actions" and saying that he won't stop saying it, he is telling Jesse Jackson that not only will he be keeping his testes, but that Jesse can kiss his bumper (just kiss it). I know I'd be thinking...
"Jesse thinks I'm talking down to Blacks does he? That's cool. I ain't even mad at him. But let's see how he likes this..."
Number two, he is saying that he is not the savior of Black people. He doesn't want us to think that he is going to hold us to any different standard than any other American. And in the case of being responsible for one's actions, I think it's 100% fine. Lots of us DO need to grow up and be responsible for our actions. It's not his job to make it easier for us to bullshyt and "get by". This goes along with what he's been saying for the duration of his presidential run which is that WE are the change that we need. We can't sit around and think that a Black president is gonna make everything sweet for us. We have to be responsible for ourselves.

Any Black person that feels like Barack is talking down by making these statements is probably someone that isn't responsible, just doesn't get it, or is a jealous and hatin' azz crab-in-the-barrel like Jesse Jackson. I'm glad Barack is sticking to his guns on this one and I don't think that he's talking down at all. I think he's keeping it real! And it doesn't get much realer than this:
"'If we're serious about reclaiming that dream, we have to do more in our own lives, our own families and our own communities...That starts with providing the guidance our children need, turning off the TV and putting away the video games; attending those parent-teacher conferences, helping our children with their homework and setting a good example...

I know some say I've been too tough on folks about this responsibility stuff. But I'm not going to stop talking about it. Because I believe that in the end, it doesn't matter how much money we invest in our communities, or how many 10-point plans we propose, or how many government programs we launch — none of it will make any difference if we don't seize more responsibility in our own lives."
Get your weight up, not your hate up.

No comments: