Monday, June 13, 2005

My Tribute to MIKE TYSON: The Man Who Once Was...

Great that is! Mike Tyson. This man has been through so many ups and downs in life, I can't help but respect the fact that he's made it this far. But, the sad part is that he's let the downs define his life and his legacy rather than the ups.

Mike Tyson has gone from rags to riches and back to rags. In recent years, he's been making feeble attempts to regain some respect with the boxing world, pay off his debtors (damn shame what Don King did to this man), and perhaps, prove to himself that he's still got it. Well, it's obvious the man does NOT have it anymore.

I did not see the fight this past weekend and I don't regret it one bit. Why? Because I knew it would be an embarassment to Mike Tyson one way or another. And he never lets me down. From biting off Holyfields ear to press conferences where he calls questions reporters sexuality, this man never lets me down! He will always give me at least one ignorant and seemingly senseless Mike Tyson quotable. And I must admit, I get a kick out of it most times. My personal favorite...."I can't be beat, my defense is IMPREGNABLE!" That right there people, is Shakespearian. Or perhaps I should start a new genre of idiosity, Mike Tysonian.

Anyway, aside from all the in-and-out of the ring exploits, embarassments, quotes, and bad decisions, I honestly think Mike Tyson is a lost soul. A man at 39 years of age still trying to find himself. This is not something we all have not seen before. Perhaps we have friends or family members who are going through the same things Mike is. But Mike's life has played out on an international scale for years now. All because of his past athletic prowess. Unfortunately for him though, the athletic prowess has left and there's nothing to disguise the misguided man we all probably saw 10-15 years ago, but didn't pay it any mind because we were too busy enjoying those KO's in the first round.

Perhaps we all should have really listened when Robin Givens went on 20/20 with Mike (sedated and silent I might add) and aired out there dirty laundry to the world. Mike's violent, he's a manic depressive, etc. She was RIGHT! No, I don't think too fondly of Robin Givens (like most people I know), but she was crying out for help. But a week later, she filed for divorce and everyone wrote her off as a gold-digging, controlling, and indiscrete woman. Maybe all that was true. But one that is definitely true. She saw what the rest of us refused to see. The truth.

My point in all this is that Mike Tyson needs some help. Psychologically he's lost. And a broke man with no sense doesn't turn out to be a good situation where I'm from. So before we all start writing him off and calling him a "bum", I think we should consider ways to help this man. That is, barring he's not beyond help at this point.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=2083509

No comments: