Sunday, December 4, 2005

The most exciting moment in the Hopkins/Taylor Fight...

Considering that the fight was pretty much boring as hell...AND Taylor won the fight when it should have went to Hopkins (but that's up for argument, I know)...The most exciting part of the entire broadcast, for me, was R. Kelly's "step-i-fied" rendition of our national anthem! LMAO!

I am not the MOST patriotic person in the world, but I understand the significance of the Star Spangled Banner. I mean, it was written right here in Bodymore, Murdaland at Fort McHenry by Francis Scott Key. Shot out to T for dropping that knowledge on me!

I understand that I am SUPPOSED to stand and put my hand over my heart when this song is played/sung. I don't always do that, but at the very least, I have the respect to keep my mouth shut and treat the song as a significant 2 minutes of time and respect the fact that it's being sung.

I also understand that you're not supposed to BUTCHER the song by turning into a rock-n-roll song, a hip-hop song, or anything other than what it is! Whitney Houston performed (hands-down, not argument) the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner years ago at a Superbowl...Not sure which one, but she killed the song. This leads me to Mr. Kelly's rendition last night!

R. Kelly turned the Star Spangled Banner into "Step in the name of love!" Not only did he speed up the song as if that would actually make it sound better, but he even had two couples hand-dancing in the ring while he sang!!! This violates so many traditions it's ridiculous! I am surprised he didn't get booed more than he did after it was over.

Now, I jokingly stated "Man, he bout to do chapter 12 [of his hip-hopera's]!" But I had no idea he would do what he did. It was COMPLETELY hilarious to me. I mean, he couldn't have done anything sillier than to take a song that the entire nation knows is meant to be sang one way and one way only, and turn it into a song that sounds like it was on his last album! It was a classic moment in boxing history for me and I am sure that there were lots of people around the country pissed about it!

3 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

Is it just me or does it seem like R. Kelly has a fractured personality disorder? We have seen that he is completely capable of reason and judgement but his actions suggest those mental forces aren't always in control. So sad...

Anonymous said...

...so funny!

Anonymous said...

yeah, I realize this is not that big of an issue. I mean, it's not like he broke a law or anything (this time). But I think it may have been in poor taste considering it's the National Anthem. Now if it were the BLACK NATIONAL ANTHEM, "Life Every Voice and Sing", then go head bruh, get ya step on!!!