Thursday, December 29, 2005

NFL: Let's see if they can get this right...

This year in the NFL you've got several guys who are worthy candidates for NFL coach of the year. Here's my list (not in order of precedence):

Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts)...Took his team to 13 straight wins. That's enough to be considered coach of the year. The team probably could have gone undefeated in the regular season if Tony's son James had not passed away (RIP James Dungy).

Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears)...The Bears have totally sucked the past few years (actually, it seems more like decades) and Lovie Smith comes in and turns this team back into a hard-nosed, pounding football team. They're built on a great defense and an offense that can get just enough done to win (sort of like the 2000 Ravens). And Lovie Smith makes sure his guys play hard every week of the season. Nobody thought they would be where they are right now (#2 seed in the NFC) considering what people expected Philly to do this year.

Marvin Lewis (Cincinatti Bengals)...The Bengals are 11-4. Don't really need to say much more than that! Last year I think they finished 8-8...Which is like the Bucanneers of the 80's going 14-2! This year they go 12-4, possibly. That's a TREMENDOUS improvement. Personally, Marvin gets my vote. But I'm a Redskins fan (he used to coach in DC) and I live in Baltimore (he used to coach in Bmore). But even moreso than that, I like Chad Johnson's TD celebrations.

Bill Belichick (New England Patriots)...Even with all their injuries the Pats somehow manage to make the playoffs and will most likely take out one of your favorite AFC teams in round one. I have never been a fan of the Patriots, much like I've never been a fan of the Lakers of the NBA. But I know two things...You gotta respect Bellichick and Brady just like you gotta respect Phil and Kobe. Because they know how to get it done and they'll fight their hearts out trying to win. Gotta respect that. The Patriots seem to be peaking right around playoff time which has to be a great thing for coach Bellichick but a horrifying thing for the Colts. We all know the Colts history in the playoffs against the Pats and it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again this year.

Notables left off: Mike Holmgren (Seattle has perenially underachieved...It's about time); Mike Shanahan (Denver will be gone in the playoffs first round); Nick Saban (even though Miami sucks, they're above .500 which I know I didn't expect); and Mike Tice (he's big, he's kinda lame at times, but his team responded toward the latter part of the season).

Now to the more fun part of this...The wackest coaches in the NFL. I won't really dwell too much on why, but I'll give a little on each guy.

1 - Marty Schottenheimer...How do you lose with a team like that?
2 - Brian Billick...Though I don't want to talk bad about the Ravens right now because I picked them to win this week in my survivor pool...He sucks.
3 - Mike Tice...Odd that he makes both lists huh?
4 - Dom Capers...Can we say "lame duck"?
5 - Bill Parcells...Retire, PLEASE! I don't like your attitude mister!!!!
6 - Bill Cowher...I'm tired of hearing anything about the Steelers...They're not going to win a championship
7 - Norv Turner...The man looks like a turkey. Nuff said!

3 comments:

Jazz said...

Dungy's son just passed. Read here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5198418?GT1=7429

Lawrenorder said...

I like how 2 of your coaches were students of the original Cover 2 defensive strategy. Which by the way is the only reason Chicago is as good as they are this year (note: they really don't have an offense)

Anonymous said...

Right Jazz...RIP James Dungy.

Lauren, it's been a decent year for Cover 2 defenses...Tampa, Chicago, Redskins, etc.