Monday, August 20, 2007

Kanye West = G.O.O.D. Music

So far I've heard about 5 tracks that are allegedly going to appear on Kanye's upcoming release, Graduation. The album drops on Sept. 11 and I'm sure that unless you've been in Peru recovering from the earthquake or in Jamaica/Mexico getting prepared to be hit by Hurricane Dean, you know that Kanye's album drops on the same date as 50 Cent's Curtis album.

I fully expect both albums to sell very well (the first week) when they are released but I have to admit that a big part of me is rooting real hard for Kanye to outsell 50, although it probably won't happen on a worldwide level. 50 has a huge amount of popularity outside the U.S. and will probably crush Kanye. But I think Kanye has a shot at beating him in sales in the U.S. Perhaps 50's huge status overseas is why Kanye has been in the U.K. for a minute now doing performances of songs off the upcoming album and dropping new exclusive ish on Tim Westwood. Trying to get some market exposure perhaps?

That BAPE hoodie is pretty sick.

The main reason I am rooting for Kanye is because Kanye (IMO) makes better music on a more consistent basis than 50 Cent does. In fact, if you compare the overall quality of the albums they've released up to this point, I think Kanye wins in a landslide. Both College Dropout and Get Rich or Die Trying are classics. But The Massacre is craptastic whereas Late Registration was almost as good as College Dropout (some say it was better).

Another reason I'm rooting for Kanye is that Kanye's passion for his music is pretty amazing. From "Through the Wire" to snippets from the Fade to Black DVD where he's in the studio with Jay-Z, to the way he bops his head just like you would even though he's listening to a song he's probably heard a million times over already while mixing/recording it. Yet he still feels his music and his words like it's the first time, every time. 50 Cent only shows passion when he's dissin' someone. And he's only entertaining when he's dissing someone or cracking jokes and doing that hilarious laugh of his. Aside from that, his songs pretty much follow a specific formula: mediocre/average lyrics + good beat + melodic hook = 50's formula for a radio single.

Kanye might not be as funny as 50 or incite as much controversy, but he does bring the heat when it comes to his production and (more noticeable in recent songs) lyrics. So while he is confident and perhaps vain, he is releasing some G.O.O.D. Music.


VICIOUS! I know whose album I'm copping on September 11th.

A few more Kanye songs:

Bittersweet (featuring John Mayer)

Barry Bonds (featuring Lil Weeziana)

And I'm sure you've already heard "Stronger" and "Can't Tell Me Nothing". I guess hip-hop isn't dead:

2 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

i totally agree that Kanye makes good music, and in MY PERSONAL OPINION better music than Curtis 1cent Jackson, but that's just me...he and i were watching vids yesterday and both spoke about the fact that 1 cent hasn't put out any music that makes either of us (i wouldn't buy, and have never bought his stuff, but even he isn't excited) want to purchase his album...its just not even fly party music...i can't bounce to NONE of it, and this is AFTER he went BACK into the studio...and that song with JT and Timbo, sucks...but again, just my opinion

so i am hoping that Kanye out sales him as well!

Anonymous said...

In general, I feel your sentiments bout half dollar, but that I Get Money joint is pretty good. I can't hate on that one, especially in the club. That song alone though, isn't going to make me buy his album. And even though I actually like the Ayo Technology joint (though it sounds like a JT song featuring 50), it's nothing special about it.

Basically, Kanye's music grabs me moreso than 50's music does.