Friday, June 13, 2008

NBA Rant

  • The Lakers are done. Sorry Dane, but they're done. Even if they win on Sunday in L.A., they're NOT winning in Boston...TWICE! Congrats K.G.

  • The ref that got caught fixing games says that other refs were "on the take". Yeah, probably so. It definitely wouldn't surprise me. How much do NBA refs make? $19K to $80K? Hmmmmnnnn. How much heat do they take from players, coaches, owners, the media, fans? Yeah, probably so.

  • I will probably do a full post on this soon, but last night's Laker's debacle started me thinking, Is Kobe really the NBA's best player? Imagine this...LeBron James working with the same supporting case Kobe has: Derek Fisher (decent veteran point guard that can knock down jumpers and create for others), Lamar Odom (the first half of last night's game is all I have to say), Pau Gasol (good big man with nice post moves and plays half-decent defense), Vladimir Radmanovic (ok, he might be a weak link), and Sasha Vujacic (knock-down 3 point shooter).

    You might be able to stop a pure scorer like Kobe from scoring. But can you stop an all-around player like LeBron who rebounds and passes well consistently in addition to scoring? The Cavaliers DID take the Celtics to 7 games. But yet-and-still, they lost. What I do know is that once you stop Kobe from scoring, he is not as good as creating for his teammates as LeBron is. Not to mention he gets frustrated. And LeBron did more in last year's playoffs with less talent around him. Yes, I'm a LeBron STAN. But I'm just saying.

  • I actually called the series "Lakers in 6" because I thought Kobe was that focused. Boy was I wrong. I wonder how badly he's gonna throw his teammates under the Buss bus in the off-season.

2 comments:

M.C. said...

Okay, I want to start off by removing my anti-Cleveland sentiment from my thoughts and be as objective as I possibly can be.

So Kobe v. LeBron...why is Kobe the MVP?

Well Kobe managed to change his game (after nine seasons) to accomodate an eccentric mix of athletic players from all over, most who are fresh-faced and have never been in this situation before.

LeBron also had new faces to work with after a mid-season trade, he brings intensity to the court, but I am not too sure how much better his teammates were. The difference between LeBron and Kobe it seems is now Kobe shares a lot more, honestly maybe too much. LeBron goes into LB solo mode and takes over the end of games. At times that is a good thing, at other times it is not.

It's kind of hard to compare the series, because the Eastern Conference semifinals is simply NOT the NBA Finals. Too different stages, too different atmospheres. However, in light of the fact that the Lakers absolutely gagged last night, and then proceeded to ejaculate the rest of that game away, leads me to believe that their locomotive has simply run its course.

It's a shame too but without Bynum in the mix, the Lakers are still shorthanded and with so many European players, they are also at a disadvantage. Radmonovich, and Dujovic's (sorry about the spelling) European play is less explosive and too dependant on an already set offense, which makes it hard to set up plays.

Then there is the Gasol factor. Another European player with a pure shot, just weak defense. The mere fact that he has been consistently outplayed in this series is the main reason they are down 3-1.

I have to say, it puts this Intercontinental NBA dream that Stern has and its weaknesses sorely in the forefront. If I am a GM or scout, I simply would not go the foreign route, and draft elite and athletic college players who seem to fit in quite well in the NBA system. For example, Perkins and House. But I digress. I still think Kobe is the best player in the league, but it's clear the Lakers aren't the best team in the league, perhaps, just second best.

Anonymous said...

Good points about the European players. I never thought about things from that perspective. I think the Lakers need Bynum and that he may have been the difference maker in the series.

Tonight I believe the series is over!