Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kanye West: Poussée de l'enveloppe

As usual, Kanye is pushing the envelope with his music. Graduation was just the first step in his move toward making his music global, and not pigeon-hole himself into the same 'ole hip-hop box. He's weening us off of that formulaic hip-hop slowly (that is, those of us who care to grow as he grows) and not just diving off the deep-end á la Andre 3000 (The Love Below). Sometimes people aren't ready to take the dive so abruptly. But if you bring them along slowly, you've got a shot at keeping those original supporters/fans and also finding some new fans that others in your genre (in this case, hip-hop) might not be able to even get a second listen from.

When I first heard the live version, I wasn't too pumped about Love Lockdown. In fact, it made me think: "This sounds like some Beatles shyt". And I'll admit I don't know much about the Beatles music and I might only know a couple of their songs if I heard them right now. But that's not the point. Regardless of the what the production reminded me of or I thought it sounded like, I did recognize that Kanye wasn't just waxing poetic about the L-word (no Showtime series) for the fun of it. Homie has been going through it! From his mom's untimely passing to his break-up with his fiancé Alexis, Kanye has been going through the (e)motions.

So even though the song didn't resonate strongly with me musically at first, I felt the lyrics. I felt his passion for his music that's always been there, unforgiving and unashamed. That's what I appreciate and respect most about Kanye, his passion. Sure he's an azzhole, but he knows it. Sure he's got one hell of an ego, he knows that as well. But does he NOT always find some way (amidst the azzhole tendencies, ego, and otherwise self-centered and prima donna-esque antics) to show that he's human?

Yes, he does.

Love Lockdown is a great example of Kanye's ability to be less superstar and more average Joe.

Listen to the lyrics! If you've ever loved someone and jacked that money messed up or the other person messed up, then you should be able to appreciate this song.


Kanye West - Love Lockdown (props to Eskay for posting the track)

P.S. - It looks like Ye is taking heed to his own words... I'd bet that the Kanye-Alexis re-up is what prompted this song. Good to see them back together though. He obviously was going through it.

6 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

I must say... to watch him perform the song, you knew it was deep. If the masses follow him on this ride, it bound to be interesting.

Eb the Celeb said...

I am not feeling the record at all... but I am excited about the new project... ye knows how to make a full album... in a time where singles rule the nation I am always happy to get a new project from him

Anonymous said...

This has been more interesting than I thought. I figure that Ye fans like me would like the song and there seem to be a lot of Ye fans out there. But even people who are Ye fans have been 50/50 split on this song.

M.C. said...

I love the song, then again, I am eclectic. I imagine headz may have a hard time with this one.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wasn't ready for Andre when he went "left" and Kanye is slowly going in that direction. But again, it's slower and it's a bit easier to take than 3-$tacks just jumpin' off the plank into the deep end.

jendayi said...

i loved it when i first saw it. it's such a stadium-ready song. the drama of the song is incredible.