Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wisconsin High School has a class where white privilege/guilt is addressed and examined. Oh my God no please stop the madness!!!!


According to the Huffington Post:
"A Wisconsin high school is under fire after a parent accused a diversity class of promoting a critical race theory, alleging that students are being taught that minorities are disadvantaged by white oppressors" (disclaimer, the HuffPost article follows that quote with "Fox News reports" which I assume is where that "being taught that..." line comes from, lol).
Anyway, the article goes on to say that "an unnamed parent tells Fox News that assignments and class worksheets seem like 'indoctrination.' ... They’re teaching white guilt... They’re dividing the students. They’re saying to non-whites, ‘You have been oppressed and you’re still being oppressed.'"

Ok, first-and-foremost, the concept of "white guilt" makes me laugh though I understand it and I think there's some validity to it. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not walking around blaming white people of today for shyt their ancestors did. That would mean I'd come to work every morning pissed off. The only white folks I'm angry at are those that appear to be consciously or subconsciously prejudice, racist, or a bigot RIGHT NOW. But white guilt makes sense although I doubt there are really that many white people walking around daily feeling bad about how their ancestors effed over Black people.

Moving right along, the idea that introducing the concept of white privilege as part of a class on critical race theory is probably par for the course I'd guess. One way for everyone to move forward is to be able to have open dialogue and discussion about the past and how it's affecting people of all races today. That's a fair discussion to have and white privilege is definitely a part of that discussion. I don't see anything wrong with discussing white privilege, white guilt, black stereotypes, why most black stereotypes have some validity to them (yep, I said it), and ways that everybody can work together to be more open-minded about the past, the present, and more importantly, things they just simply don't understand.

It's unfair to everyone that every time a discussion about race comes up someone has to jump up and speak-out against having conversations that could move everyone forward. The article is definitely worth a read and there are other links within the article that point to some interesting materials. I highly suggest reading it if you have time.

No comments: