Monday, July 18, 2005

BOXING ONE-ON-ONE: Hopkins vs Taylor

As much as I hate to admit it, Bernard Hopkins lost that fight Saturday night. He wasn't beaten badly or even convincingly in my mind, but he was beaten. Going into this thing, I definitely thought he would win a close fight. I had never seen Jermain Taylor fight but I'd heard lots about his power and his "bad intentions". But Saturday night I got to see him bring out those bad intentions.

The kid can fight! With every round I gained more respect for him. Hopkins did his usual thing and laid back for the first half of the fight waiting for Taylor to tire. But this kid tired almost at the end of the fight. He was the agressor for the majority of the fight. Hopkins took over as the aggressor toward the latter rounds.

But in the end, the kid had shown enough to the judges in the first few rounds to win the fight on a split decision. He deserved it. He fought hard against a proven champ and dominated.

Check out a recap of the fight.

I bet this rematch will be really bloody!

No comments: