Monday, July 18, 2005

FAMILY PRIDE

FAMILY REUNION:

This past weekend my family reunion took place at Anacostia Park in D.C. It was nice to be around family (you know, that one time per year that a slacker like myself is around) and see everybody again. I couldn't help but feel like I am an underachiever when it comes to staying in touch with family and strengthening bonds with my family members. Am I so busy that I can't keep in touch with my own blood? Why do they love me so unconditionally even when I haven't seen or talked to many of them in a year's time?

That's LOVE!

It's funny how even though some members of my family don't get along with one-another, everyone seems to be able to get along with me. I can't help but wonder sometimes if this is because I'm removed from family functions to the point where everybody just likes me by default b/c they don't know me well enough to see something that they may not like. Not that I think I am a bad person by any means, but I sometimes wonder if I came to more family functions and did more stuff with my family...Would I be in one of the family "cliques"?

I love my family and I was happy to see that everyone was there and having a good time, even if it did seem a little sectioned off (if you know what I mean). But the two constants in my family are my mother and grandmother. Grandmom is the pillar of the family. She holds everything down, organized all the events, rewards the kids with Certificates of Accomplishment for good grades, cooks, directs her family helpers, and makes sure we're all having a good time.

My mother is like her understudy. She's grandma's wing-woman. Whenever you can't talk to grandman you can talk to cousin-/aunt-Joyce. And my mom is always moving at 100 miles per hour in an effort to make sure everything is in order and everyone is enjoying themselves. I admire this in my mother. She makes sure everyone else is having a good time before she thinks about herself. The wonderful thing about it is that my mother can still see someone who intends to take advantage of her kindness from a mile away. Saavy, strong, intelligent, giving, and happy. Those are the things that come to mind when I think of my mother and grandmother. What more can you ask for?

First Time Car Buyer:

Also this weekend, my younger brother went to North Carolina with my stepdad and bought his first car. 2002 Honda Accord with all the nice amenities a young man wants in his ride. I am happy for him beyond explanation! I know how I felt the day I bought that crappy 1994 Ford Taurus (my first car). What's great about my brother's situation is that he got a good car at a good price and it'll probably last him a lot longer than that Taurus lasted me (rest in peace...LEMON!).

He's coming to Bmore today to sign-up for his courses at Morgan in the fall. He said he'll stop by my job to let me see the car. But something tells me he'll head straight to Morgan and let the ladies see what's he's pushing now...I don't mind at all (I remember those days).

I'm proud of him. Quite proud. He doesn't know it yet, but one day he'll be doing better things than me and he'll surpass me in his accomplishments in life. That's the day I'll really feel like I did my job as a big brother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What mature reflection. Moms in all generations (the originals, grandma's, great-grans, and the rest) do seem to be "superwomen", "larger than life", and somehow better people than everyone else. Also, such a lovely bond you have with your brother :)

Anonymous said...

Thing is...It seems like the older I get and the more responsibilities I have, the more I appreciate how I was raised and the people that played a role in raising me.

I guess this is the stuff everybody says "you won't understand till you get older"