Thursday, July 21, 2005

This Makes ME MAD

Why is it that every corner in Baltimore city has one or more kids selling water? Why does this upset me so much? Why can't I stand to see young kids out there making a minimal amount of money on a hot and sweaty summer day?

WHY?

Because there are so many other things these kids could be doing. Why aren't there any summer camps for these kids? Why aren't there any vacation bible schools these kids are attending? Why aren't the kids in some sort of structured summer program? Does Baltimore City not have these types of programs? Do the parents of these children not have the money?

MAN, this really makes me upset for some reason!

This really makes me sad for the people of this city. When I was in high school, I remember going to the gas station around my way all the time and my younger brother's friends would be there pumping gas for people. Trying to make a few ends, either because they needed it that bad or they just wanted it. Is this the only way a kid can earn an allowance nowadays...GEEZ! This makes me question what type of household these kids lived in. How about doing some dishes, cleaning up around the house, washing clothes, taking out the trash, etc.? These are the types of things I earned money for as a kid. Things that would benefit me as a man later in life. These are small but important life skills. Is selling water a life skill? I almost want to call selling water a gateway hustle. You know how weed is a gateway drug. Selling water on the corner can turn into selling weed on the corner (in your neighborhood). Selling weed can turn into selling crack. It's not a guarantee to happen, but IT'S ALL A HUSTLE. Just on different levels. And in any city (not just Bodymore, Murdaland), kids are thrown into the adult fire at such a young age that nothing surprises me anymore. Besides, I know what I went through, took part in, and was around as a kid. And knowing that scares me because it seems to be worse for kids nowadays.

Maybe it's JUST ME, but I can't envision myself letting my son or daughter stand out on a city corner in the middle of the day, everyday, for an entire summer selling water. If I'm uppity or wrong for this, then so be it! I would like my child to be somewhere 1) a little safer, 2) more structured, and 3) where they're learning something. Bible school, summer program, summer school, at home cleaning or reading until the sun goes down, something. Just not standing out on a hot city corner selling water. But I guess I'm either looking through rose-colored glasses or I'm just a spoiled brat myself.

I'm torn about this issue because while I don't see how this can really help the kids during a summer when they could be doing things much more beneficial to their educational development or overall human development, I can't deny that I don't think they're picking up some sort of entrepreneurial skills in selling that water. I mean they are learning about profit-margins, supply and demand, but at what cost. And I use cost in the sense that, will the spirit of a typical around-the-way hustler be born on a hot Baltimore summer day on the corner of North Avenue and Howard St. Or will the spirit of an entrepreneurial hustler be born? I don't know.

It's a tough issue for me. Maybe I am just over-reacting but until someone enlightens me (feel free) I think I'm going to feel the same way.

T, you usually open my eyes at times like this. Please let me know if there's something I am missing here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not T, but I will say I don't think you're wrong in your thinking. I doubt that many give as much thought to such matters but goodness knows it's about time someone did. (Perhaps someone will give a thought to do something about it, but we can't do everything ourselves).