Thursday, May 31, 2007

Miscellaneous Randomness: Trippin to the Left Coast and Ghetto Usernames

I'm Going-Going, Back-Back, to Cali-Cali...



Next week I'll be heading back out to California for my job. I'll be there for the majority of the week and spending most of my days at a conference. In the evenings and at night however, I will most definitely be finding some stuff to get into. Restaurants, sight-seeing, bars, lounges, clubs, shopping, etc. You know, doing the tourist type stuff. And of course, the camera will be in FULL EFFECT. And I'm NOT going to lose it (shot out to JAC)!

If any of you live in the San Fran area, know good people in the San Fran area, or are familiar with the area and can point me in the direction of some fun/cool/enjoyable stuff to do, please drop me a comment.
Online Pet Peeve #2: Ghetto usernames

Just in case you missed it...Pet Peeve #1

Recently, the usage of ghetto usernames for email accounts, myspace screen names, IM screen names, etc. has caught my attention. If you are an adult and have a full-time job with responsibilities like bills, children, a mortgage, etc. your screen name should not be ridiculously ghetto. Actually, if you're 23 or older, just give it up. For example:

68andiowe1@whatever.com
bmore_dime_piece@whatever.com
trisha_boo@whatever.com
mandigo@whatever.com
tyronesbabymomma@whatever.com

...and so on and so forth. I can't imagine that people with email addresses like those above actually use these on their resumés. Or if you happen across an old friend at a gathering and they ask for your email address, do you give them this address? Seriously, there's no way Johnson & Johnson is sending you a job offer to t0ple$$_honie@gmail.com or thug_angel@yahoo.com. You can forget that! Do you think your email address could get you nixed from the pool of applicants? I wouldn't put it past people to do just that.

Being real, I will admit that I used to have an email address like this, boneymike@yahoo.com. That was my nickname back in high school and college, boneymike so I figured it'd be easy for people to remember my email address that way. But once I entered my senior year of college, I got rid of that and replaced it with a more "neutral/friendly" email address.

Once you're grown, you need to get rid of the ghetto email addresses and the ghetto screen names. Yes, it's hard to let everybody know your email address is changing. Yes it's hard to transfer all of your contacts (then again, not really). Yes it's hard to let go of those nicknames we thought were slick when we were teens and really young adults. But there's a time to let go!

7 comments:

Daneger said...

Thug_Angel@gmail.com......LMMFAO!!! I have been using that term (my thug angel) since Justus For All dropped...you should have just put the skit from the mixtape on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I actually thought about doing that after I wrote it. But I was too lazy to do all the file manipulation to put it up there.

K.C. said...

I could not agree more. This has been something I've thought about on and off for years. I used to be (and many of my back-in-the-day friends still use): goodykace@yahoo. Then, in college when i had to put that thang on the top of that resume...I was like naaaawww...this ain't gon' work. so now...kaceywilliams@hotmail.com....classic and professional :)

A. B. said...

68andiowe1@whatever.com

HAAAAAAAAAA, Tears, LMAO, HAAAA

T.a.c.D said...

CLASSIC MC CLASSIC...i was dying laughin at this joint...i mean if you gotta keep the old one, like in kc's case because you want to keep up with old friends that's ONE thing, but geeze peeze let it GO....be grown about your stuff...

Anonymous said...

TC: "gotta" keep the old one...Nah. Send out a mass email and tell people they gotta update their address books. LOL. That's what I did anyway and it seemed to work

AB: Youzawildboy!

It is What It Is... said...

LMAO!!! That was funny as shi...

HA!!!

Its the truth too...