Tuesday, June 12, 2007

'Frisco Baby!

Last week I was in San Francisco for work. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to travel around San Francisco a little and do some sightseeing, go to a Giants game, ride the trolley cars, and get a taste of what life is like in the San Francisco area.

I got to see - either in person or from a distance - a few famous (and some not so famous) landmarks in San Fran like...

The Yerba Beuna Center for the Arts



This was a statue of a man "shaking hands" so I shook his hand. Unfortunately, I was so tall and I have such a big head (no Johnnycakes) that you can't see the face of the statue

Union Square



Union Square is surrounded by some of the nicest high-end shopping anyone can ask for. Ladies, if you haven't been in this area before, when you get to San Fran, you gotta check it out

Ghirardelli Square



The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art




AT&T Park



The main reason I went to see the Giants play was to see the man below, Barry Bonds. Even with all the steroid accusations and his standoff-ish personality, I wanted to say I'd seen Barry Bonds play live and in person. Though it was super-cold I still enjoyed most of the 6 innings I watched.





Alcatraz




Chinatown



The Fisherman's Wharf



Pier 39



I was also lucky enough to get some pictures of the San Francisco skyline from atop the Hyatt Hotel in their GrandViews restaurant.








Also, pictures of the Powell (shot out to my step-dad) Street Trolley car and some nice shots while riding the trolley car.










I also got a great picture of dusk in San Francisco which is one of my two favorite pictures from the trip.



If you haven't already checked out the following stuff in San Fran, you HAVE TO whenever you are out there:
  • The Fisherman's Wharf
  • Pier 39
  • Chinatown
  • Ruby Skye Lounge
  • Scoma's Restaurnt
  • GrandViews Restaurant atop the Hyatt
  • Union Square
  • Ride the Powell Street Trolley
I'm sure there's a ton of things I missed because I didn't get to experience them this time around, but that's a great place to start.

Overall, my trip was a GREAT one. There were a few things I didn't like about San Francisco like the bums and the lack of black people especially black women (at least where I was), but there were far more good things about San Francisco than bad and I think you can see that from the pictures above.

7 comments:

It is What It Is... said...

Welcome back....

Ok - I have that same picture of myself with Alcatraz in the back.

You looked like you had a good time...

I was a little scurred on the trolley when I first rode it...we had to hang on the edge...lol

Anonymous said...

LOL at you having the same Alcatraz flick. I definitely had a good time.

T.a.c.D said...

looks like you had a GREAT time...definitely wanna check it out when i go

Unknown said...

Hey there, just wanted to let you know there are a lot of black people in SF, but you shaould have crossed the bridge to Oakland if you wanted to see black people, SF is a tourist destination especially ALL the places you went to. anyway, glad you had fun...

Anonymous said...

@Dutchess: Funny you mention Oakland because I was talking to someone last night from Oakland who told me the exact same thing.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a car to get me to Oakland and from what I heard on the news, I don't think I'd want to be in Oakland without a means to get out of there quickly.

Next time though, I'll be sure to check out Oakland.

Unknown said...

Fair enough....it's not as bad as it seems though, you just need for someone to tell you all the cool places to go!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're volunteering to be my tour guide next time I'm in the Bay Area.

"Tell me where/when to go!"