Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Met Kelly Rowland...Scratch that off my "things to do before I die" list

  • Drive that highway on the west coast that goes from wayyy north to wayyy south...
  • Sky dive...
  • Start a business...Check
  • Teach...
  • Visit Hawai'i
  • Ride motorcycles with my mom and grand-dad
  • Play a midget one-on-one in basketball for $30...
  • ...
  • blah blah blah
  • ...
  • Meet Kelly Rowland...As of last night...CH-CH-CHECK!
Some of you already know I'm a fan of Kelly Rowland. If you're not, you can read about that here.

Back to last night though. Who would have thought that Kelly Rowland would actually show up last night to a "listening party" being advertised with this shoddy azz flier:

Throw some resolution on that b*tch! (Not Kelly, the flier. There's no way to make that line sound respectable is there? Anyway, graphic designers, stand up!)

Woo informed me yesterday that he got me on the guestlist for this listening party so naturally I dropped everything I should have been doing and jetted to D.C. to attend. I've never been to Lotus before so I didn't know what to expect. On top of that, every other listening party I've been to, the artist has NOT been in the building, so I didn't know what to expect in that regard either. Nevertheless, I decided to go and it was the best decision I made yesterday aside from not ordering that 3rd Hennessy and cranberry, without the cranberry.

Kelly showed up in the spot about a half-hour after Woo and I did. Beautiful smile, nice dress, nice hair. Pretty much like this. She was very personable as she walked through the lounge. She smiled the entire time, greeted people, and didn't act how *some* celebs act (like they're better than others). It was a pleasant surprise that she actually showed up and on top of that, was really down-to-earth.

But I'm sure you guys don't really care about what I thought about Kelly Rowland last night, you want to know if I took a picture with her or if I tried to get her number or something. Well, neither of those things happened, but this did...

Woo and I were standing by a couple couches, drinking, and Kelly starts to walk over and he starts telling me he wants me to take a picture. So I tell him I'll take a picture of him and Kelly with my phone. Shortly thereafter, the girl sitting next to us says hi to her and then she walks directly to me:
Kelly R.: Hey, what are you drinking?
Me: Can't tell you, it's a secret. [Getting my R. Kelly and T-Pain on. Ahem...Flirting.]
Kelly: [Taking a step back and giving me the "Negro, I'm Kelly effing Rowland" face] Boy stop playing!
Me: [About to panic] Just joking, It's Hennessy and cranberry.
Kelly: Is that something new?
Me: Nah, it's old-school.

[Interrupted by Woo]

Woo: I'm next! I want a picture with you.
Mike: [About to smack fire out of Mr. Interruption and realizing she has a horde of people trying to take pictures with her] I see you're in demand. Nice meeting you.
Kelly: You too!
At this point I'm pretty siced, I can't front. With all these guys in here running up to her with their cameraphones and digital cameras, she actually walked up to me and spoke. Nice.

I then took a picture of Woo and Kelly with my cameraphone. Unfortunately, my phone (daggon Windows Mobile OS on this thing) FROZE right after I took the picture. I guess it couldn't handle the thought of me not being in that picture with her. As a result of my phone freezing up, I had to pop the battery out and back in (no Johnny Gill or Eddie Murphy) and then cut the phone back on. Only to realize that the picture was not saved.

:-(

Needless to say, Woo was/is/will-always-be pi$$ed. With or without the picture, it was a memorable night. Kelly Rowland just solidified herself as my #1 celebrity sleeper bun-bun. Until Dania Ramirez or Sophia Bush step their respective games up.

Funny side story: After I told my boy B about it, he emailed me and said: "She prolly thought you was Swizz!" LMAO! Nah, it must have been that gallon and a half of cologne I bathed in before I got out of my car. LOL. Anyway, I joked with him that I should have acted like I didn't know who she was and maybe I could have gotten the digits (yeah right!). He then said:
"You should have asked her where was Beyoncé!"
You know that ain't right. LOL.

8 comments:

It is What It Is... said...

I'm so mad...

Mike - you could've at least sent a freaking email mannn...

I send you and Randall pic's of Beyonce and the crew in bikins all the time...the least you could do for me is say: Jessica I know you're a certified stalker of Beyonce', Kelly and nem - so she's having a listening party in DC...you and T.C. should come...

You KNOW I'm beyonce' and Kelly's biggest fan!!! LOL

I'm so heated and ya'll ain't tell me!! - I mean I didn't get one email about this even from the "wack Mark n' Taz" type promoters in the DC area!!

Where in the HELL is the DAMN E-VIP list email blasts when you really freaking need them??

HUH???

I would've given my left leg to meet her in person!

Geeze!!! - I can't believe the YBF Blog didn't pick this story up either...she's right in the DC area...and that really sucks...

BTW - all of ya'll are officially cut off from me emailing pictures of Beyonce and the crew...LOL

I'm just playing...
Jess

Oh! yes, that flyer is horrible...I wish I could've designed it...

T.a.c.D said...

ok so here is the jacked up part...Nita was there right, working the crowd for Lyson's Entertainment...HOWEVER she did NOT tell me what she was working for, i HAD been invited to go, but told her naw...had I known...i bust that heifa!

and Mike you know you got that look...that swagga, not surprised she walked up to you...

HELLO!!!!

jendayi said...

wow! NICE!! can i brag and just say that someone slid me her entire CD today. i'm listening to it right now and I LOVE IT!

jcroft - i wish i was there too honey.

jendayi said...

i'm surprised you haven't found it in that little secret-style inbox that you receive all pre-released music in, and posted it on the "fresh on my mind" spot. lol. get on it mike!

Anonymous said...

@Jess - I didn't find out about it until late so I didn't have the opportunity to spread the word.

Why the left leg as opposed to the right?

@TC - Dag. And I saw her later on in the night too.

@JAC - Like you, I got that CD today as well. I heard most of it last night. It's okay. Then again, I was drinking so I probably should listen to it in the car at some point to give it the full listen.

A. B. said...

I totally agree with you Mike Kel's is totally underrated and smoking hot. I met destiny's Child when I was in a play with them in college. Yall aint know I was a thespian (and professional male lesbian) I found all of them to be real down to earth and treated us non-celebs like human being. And God can they sing.

Needless to say they were not so impressed with my talent that is why I am at work today. :-(

Totally agree with you on Dania R. too. Sophia Bush I respect the diversity. Go hid playa. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Thespian? You should be a comedian.

And don't sleep on Sophia Bush homie.

Daneger said...

I can here you screaming on Woo after she left... "Oh My F*cking Goodness!!! Woo you dickballing piece of shYt!" (No Johnny Murphy!) He is officially worst than Jon now. LOL.