Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Politics and Pistols...

Now we're coming full circle...

While lawmakers and activists are on Capitol Hill fightin' the good fight so that the JENA 6 boys can stunt at the BET Hip-Hop Awards, most of us (including me) are just realizing that the federal authorities could have presumably stepped-in on this whole Jena situation and kept this from blowing up to the extent that it did. Meaning, did the right thing. Or could they have? Really though, according the the "law of the land", could they have done it?

Regardless, I think it's good that this issue got the attention it did because it is going to force people to address some of the ugly truths that lots of people tend to avoid discussing, or push under the rug altogether.

Oh by the way, when we think about the JENA 6, let us not dismiss or ignore the fact that the U.S. Attorney for the western district of Louisiana (where JENA is located) is Mr. Donald Washington, a grown-azz Black man. He was appointed by George Dubya in 2001 and is the FIRST BLACK MAN to evAr hold that post. First.Black.EVAR. If most of you are like me (read: have common sense), you'd think he'd feel "some kinda way" about this situation considering it went down in his jurisdiction. Like when you're out and someone disrespects a friend of yours and right before you pull a Diddy, you think: "Nah, that bama ain't gonna go on my man/girl like that." And naturally, Mr. Washington does feel something, although I'm not sure what the fock it is or what the fock it's worth considering the magnitude of this shyt-uation and his occupational title.

Here's his response to being questioned about (allegedly) not doing anything about what was happening in Jena:
"I was also offended, I too am an African-American...I did intervene, I did engage the district attorney. At the end of the day, there are only certain things that the United States attorney can do."
He also added that the U.S. attorney's office investigated the Jena matter but decided not to prosecute because the federal government typically does not bring hate crimes charges against juveniles.

Hmmmnnnnn. I wonder what's the difference between typically not doing something and acting based on injustice? Seriously, wasn't this country allegedly built under the pretense of justice for all? Or better yet, what's the difference between being bound by law to NOT ACT and having the right within the law TO ACT, yet doing nothing? But more important than bringing charges against juveniles for hate crimes is (ding-ding) releasing juveniles who are in jail on trumped-up charges. You Fumb-Duck! Sounds to me like Mr. Washington is missing at least 50% of the point.

And as a comical side to this thing, you've got Representative Lamar Smith saying "more than anything what we need is an effort to reduce racial tension... What we do not need is stoking racial resentment." Oh really? Don't be scurred. That tickles me. Why is it that every time Black folk get effed the eff over, someone jumps up and says we need to thwart racial tension? We don't want those darkies getting riled up at a time like this.

Have you taken a history class? Considering all those years of slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, the fight for civil rights, and so on, I think there might be a slight bit of racial tension. Just a smidgeon. Even without a JENA 6 type of situation.

Willie D. once said: "We ain't against ALL white people, just the white people that's against us." Offensive self-defense (oxymoron, I know). Very Huey Newton (and Bobby Seale) esque I might add.

Lamar Smith needs to sit the fock down and relax. You must be nervous for a reason homie!

And at the same time that lawmakers and activists are fighting for the Jena 6 and everyone's right not to walk into work with a noose hanging in their cubicle, you've got old TIPPORD Harris furthering the stereotype of the maniacally virile, gun-toting Black male by getting caught with enough arms to take out a whole bunch of naggars. Lord knows he wasn't going to use those guns to take out some folks on some 'ole Black Panther ish. My bad, some NEW BLACK PANTHER ish. (If you have never clicked a link in one of my posts before, click that last one. Please.)

Sidebar: When you first heard about this, did it take you back to the Kings of Comedy DVD where Steve Harvey was talking about Rae Carruth? "I know he better not be in that drunk...This mf-er is in the trunk...You got to be the dumbest..."

Perhaps TIPPORD just likes guns (a lot) and he wasn't going to do anything other than keep them in his home. Or perhaps T.I.P. needs the guns to defend himself from T.I. Who knows? Either way, he's probably up Shyts Creek without a paddle even though I hope he somehow pulls an Orenthal James on this one.

So there you have it. While Al Sharpton (who used to launder drug money, by the way) is complaining about a lack of federal intervention in Jena, LA and simultaneously fighting for YOUR right to not walk into work/school and face racist shyt... You've got a former drug dealer and convicted felon with split-personalities arming himself about as well as the CIA armed the Contras back in the day when they [the CIA] were sending arms to South America in return for the cocaine Al Sharpton used to help drug dealers pump on the block.

I blame all this shyt on Oliver North, by the way. Not Reagan! That bama had the federal government pumping like an oil refinery around the time I was born so my mom had the money to raise and take care of me, by herself. I can't be mad at that even if he was complicit in focking poor communities the fock up while simultaneously trying to convince us there was a war on drugs and introducing economic policy that still affects the country (in a good or bad way depending on what class of society your in) to this day.

If countries were characters from the WIRE, America would totally be Clay Davis.

3 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

"...[W]hat's the difference between being bound by law to NOT ACT and having the right within the law TO ACT, yet doing nothing?"

I'm not sure that there's ever an instance wher you bound to "Not Act." From what I understand you can always intervene (i.e. trumped up charges) and you just might be in the wrong.

Now, having the right within the law TO ACT and not is tantamount to malfeasance, nonfeasance, or sheer negligence. Whichever you choose, it's frustrating when you have an appointed official that you cannot remove for those reasons. Interestingly, I don't think our current systems allows for removal for malfeasance, and if it does they ought to teach that in civics classes. Power to the people!

p.s. I was a little nervous about the Jena 6 duo appearing at the Hip Hop Awards, but aside from wearing shades inside, I was pleasantly surprised when those young men spoke. I knew I had some strong, if not wrong, assumptions about young black people in general, but it's always nice for individuals to prove me wrong.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for the PS statement. I didn't watch so I didn't know.

Semantik said...

This is Semantik from CrateKings.com. Just wanted to say that Day2Day is a great site. Was also hoping you would make a link to my site, which focuses on Hip-Hop production, vinyl, samples, instrumentals, and crate digging.

Peace and & Respect,

Semantik
www.cratekings.com