Monday, February 18, 2008

Superman that H*!

... But make sure you actually dunk the ball!


The last time I checked this was a DUNK contest. After the dunk you've got Magic Johnson talking about how "he was up so high he threw it through!". Ummmm, Magic... Yes, he was up high. But not sooooo high that he was forced to throw it in. Let's relax a bit and be real. That wasn't a dunk. It was entertaining, interesting, had a huge "wow" factor, but in the end, it wasn't a dunk.

I think that dunk was one of the most over-reacted-to dunks of all the times. Yes, he had on a cape and yes, he seemed to be a towering figure in the "sky", but in the end, I can't call that a dunk. In fact, I did that at least 5 or 6 times when I was younger trying to learn how to dunk. I can't take anything away from him as an entertainer because he put on a fantastic show (just like last year) and had some great dunks (superman notwithstanding), but I don't think that "dunk" was that good to get the reaction(s) it did. I think his other dunks were better.

Speaking of dunks, I realized during TNT's recap of dunk contests of the past, that I think that Vince Carter has the best dunk of all the times in a dunk contest. I never really thought about this particular dunk and how difficult it had to be to pull-off until this weekend. Just take a look (and listen to the reactions)....



The degree of difficulty on that is ridiculous. Look at how he had to cuff the ball just so the ball didn't fly out of his hand! He spun the opposite way a right-handed person would spin and then threw the windmill across his body into the rim. CRAZY! The reverse 360 windmill is a dunk I still have NOT seen anyone do or even attempt since then. Think about that! Of course I could be wrong but even if one or two people have tried or done the dunk think about this. The great dunks (the between the legs everyone wants to do nowadays, the foul line a la Jordan, etc.) get emulated and done over and over again. How many times have we seen someone (Jason Richardson, Andre I., Gerald Green, Vince Carter, etc.) try that between the legs dunk? How many times has someone tried to dunk from the foul line? I have not seen anyone even try Vince's windmill 360! And that was 8 years ago! If you have, please let me know. And if you disagree with me in that Vince's dunk is the best ever, please send me the dunk you think is the best dunk contest dunk ever.

Moving on, Gerald Green got robbed only getting a 46 for the dunk below as well as the dunk he did with no shoes on. He didn't put on a better show than Dwight but he definitely had dunks that were just as creative and difficult.


Overall, I thought the dunk contest was pretty good. Dwight Howard's creativity and energy made the contest great to watch!

No comments: