Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Word of the Day: Elucidating

First off, if any of you already know what this word means, kudos to you. LOL. I would however, like to know when you first learned of and subsequently used this word. Just out of curiosity.

Elucidating is the word of the day today because my co-worker just dropped me an email using this word in the following way...
"[Sam] said he was going to try to find out [some information] in his meeting with [Linda], to see if she could show him, but it wasn't very... elucidating."
...Naturally, I was simultaneously confused, enthralled, and flabbergasted. LOL. Confused because I'd never heard the word before. Enthralled and flabbergasted because I knew this is a word I'd now begin to use. Yet-and-still I was completely sure there was a more simple term to use for whatever point she was trying to make (LOL). But I obviously need to get my vocab game up so I embraced this as an opportunity to learn a new word.

I looked it up (online of course) and the definition of elucidating is:
"To make clear or plain, especially by explanation; clarify."
Makes sense considering the context. But in retrospect, why not just say "helpful". Elucidate that, please.

4 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

I have to use many forms of "elucidate" in my writing, so I'm glad you're hip to the word. My personal new favorite word is 'ambivalent'.
Love that word.

Anonymous said...

Now there's a word I know!

Tamecia said...

Elucidating....I think I first used it in debate in high school when my strategy was to use the thesaurus to change words I knew they would know to ones they didn't so they would have more questions about words than my arguments. Sneaky strategy, but not many questions....undefeated for many years!

Part of being an intellectual bourgeousie...as I was accused by who, another JHU alum. Ironically.

Anonymous said...

Very shrewd Mecia! Not a surprise though ;-)