Thursday, February 7, 2008

Poli-Tricks: Billary and O'Drama



If you didn't read the picture above...Please take a quick second to read it!

(FYI...Billary = Hillary Clinton; O'Drama = Barack Obama.)

I haven't really talked that much about the Democratic primary race but I've been keeping up half-azzed for a while now. Glancing at the news ticker while at the gym counts as such, right? Then again, I've checked out a couple debates, videos, websites, etc. so I think that's good enough. With that said, unless there's a serious change in vision, stances, and the all important swag factor (Barack has swag, you gotta admit) between now and the Maryland primary (Feb. 12), my vote will remain in the O'Drama camp.

I've known for some time now that I am going to vote for Barack. Not because he's Tiger Woods style Black (although that makes it sweeter), but because I agree with him just about 100%. Pull the troops out of Iraq. Provide affordable healthcare for all Americans. Decrease taxes for the middle-class. So on and so forth.

As a matter of fact, I've been on the O'Drama bandwagon since way back as can be seen here, here, and in my open letter to O'Drama. I even managed to include Barack and Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the same blogpost. (In the words of your favorite cRapper, Ahmadinejad is a "PROBLEM"!) Granted, some of my feelings have changed since I first started supporting and learning about Barack Obama. But most if not all have changed for the better as I've become a bit more engaged and started to learn more about the political process (still don't really understand this whole delegate count thing though).

The reason I call Hillary, Billary, is simple. When you think of Hillary you think of Bill. For some reason, a lot of young Democrats associate Bill Clinton with great presidential tenure. As in, he was a good president. I guess I can't complain too much about his tenure as president. The economy was doing well, negros had jobs (not that they don't normally have jobs, but it just seemed like more of us had jobs), and bamas was getting head in the oval office and God knows where else. The latter of which is pretty much Bill's legacy in my mind. He got head in the Oval Office.

I didn't understand politics as much as I do now, back then. Granted, I still feel like there's tons of stuff I don't know or understand (re: delegate counts), but I'm learning. But as far as Hillary goes, I am not sure I'm ready to give her the credit she seems to want to be given for being the First Lady. I'm sure she played a significant role during Bill's tenure in some way, but how much was he really telling her or asking from her when the man was getting brain at the White House? Seriously. Don't get me wrong, Hillary is sharp in her own right. Add Bill to that and together they're the sharpest political couple out there. But for those of you who are thinking that Hillary in office means that Bill's back, don't be so sure. At least, I wouldn't be.

As for Barack, I call him O'Drama because I heard DJ Drama say "you can call me Barack O'Drama" on a mixtape a minute ago. LOL. I'm not afraid to admit that there's really no point to that one. But if he wins the primary and gets into office, there will inevitably be some drama. I can only imagine the background checking that media outlets and the government will end up doing if Barack makes it into office. Regardless of what may potentially happen though, I don't think anyone can argue that Barack isn't the most intrigiung, captivating, and charismatic candidate across both parties. He's the only candidate that makes you feel like you're a part of something larger than just an election (besides maybe Ron Pizzy). You're a part of a change that's needed in order for our country to move in a positive direction. And that's a big part of the reason why I am voting for him. Not because he's Black and not because he's a Democrat. Simply because I believe that his vision coincides with what we need as a country. And that's change... CHANGE we can believe in.

...Hello? You still there? WAKE UP!

2 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

Yes WE Can!

KaishaAdia said...

"Barack has swag, you gotta admit" oh so much swagger! but thats not why i voted for him last week! ...or is it??