Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When being a snarky foreigner goes wrong

I was at the bus stop yesterday and this Carnival cruiseline advertisement caught my eye.

The full ad goes something like "All those tired of wearing pants" and then there's the Carnival logo. The point of the ad is to convince you that if you're tired of wearing pants, go hop on a Carnival cruise. And by now you know I've been there and done that so I'm familiar with all the Carnival branding and their advertisements catch my eye.

But what I noticed on second glance was some writing on the advertisement right after the word "wearing".



The first thing I thought was some kid wanted to be "funny" and write a message there for all to see. But when I read it I was surprised that the message made absolutely no sense, but I could tell what the person was trying to say.

If you put the ad together with what the person wrote it reads: "All those tired of wearing on the bus because it takes forever." I assume the person confused "wearing" with "waiting" (hmmmnnnnn).

After reading it I kinda chuckled to myself because the first thing I thought is that someone failed the TOEFL (Test of English as a First Language). You all know I'm ignant as hell so I could be wrong but it seems to me like that could be a common mistake that someone not very learned or familiar with the nuances of English language might write. And add to the mix that this bus stop was on the Johns Hopkins University campus (did I mention foreigners) and it just made me laugh because I can remember some experiences in undergrad where some of the not-so-familiar-with-English students would try to be slick and say something that made no sense at all. So this took me back a little bit and I can't help but wonder who it was that wrote it.

No comments: