Monday, March 27, 2006

Movie: Inside Man..."This ain't no bank robbery!!!"

"This ain't no bank ROBBERY!" - Det. Frazier (played by Denzel Washington)



Unfortunately people, this is the only thing that I could really pull from this movie that was classic Denzel. You know, classic like "King Kong ain't got nothing on me!"

Inside Man was a pretty good movie. It kept me engaged through about 3/4 of the way. But near the end I must admit that it got a little "long-and-drawn-out". It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be either. Denzel did a good job (as always), I guess the storyline was just a little weak when it got toward the end of hte movie. Jodie Foster also did a good job in this movie playing the role of the intelligent, egotistical, power-wielding birch (if you know what I mean).

Not giving too much away...The story is about a bank robbery that takes place and there's a very powerful businessman who may have certain bad decisions he's made exposed by the bank robbery. In the end, good prevails against evil (of course). Spike Lee inserts his shots at racial stereotypes including racial slurs against blacks, arabics as well as some presumptions people make about those of different ethnic backgrounds or racial make-up.

One scene that I thought was very intereting and thought-provoking was when the bank robber approaches a hostage who is a young black kid to talk. The kid's playing a Sony PSP game that resembles alot of the first-person shooter games kids play today. And the bank robber talks to him while he's playing the game where he gets to literally blow people's brains out for points (and you also lost points for getting carjacked or getting shot). The kid proceeds to tell the bank robber "You'd get MAD points for robbing the bank" as if he thinks it's cool to rob a bank. You gotta see this sequence to really get the gist of what I am trying to convey here. In the end the child says to the bank robber..."Like my man 50 say, you gotta 'get rich or die tryin'" Very interesting sequence of the movie. It'll have the hip-hop community talking soon, I'm sure of it.

Anyway, I would give this movie a 3/5 (sorry "Alonzo" and Spike). While Denzel does his thing as usual, the movie was just good. Nothing really special about it at all. So I'd recommend this as a weekend matinee movie.

No comments: