Monday, March 19, 2007

Congratulations SAGE STEELE!

"I'm giving it 1 month before Stuart Scott gets his Harold Reynolds on"
Ms. Sage Steele, who used to be a sportscaster for Comcast in the middle atlantic region just got UPGRADED to an ESPN Sportscenter anchor. That's what I call a "come-up". I used to watch Sage Steele do interviews with the Ravens players and Brian Billick on Comcast SportsNet and I am not going to lie, a big part of the reason I tuned in at all was to watch Sage (and it appears I'm not the only one who thinks so). Then I found out she was married and that kinda blew me. But she always seemed very well-spoken, knowledgeable, and she asked good questions. I haven't really watched anything on Comcast SportsNet recently other than Wizards games and the Best Damn Sports Show Period. So you know I was surprised to see Sage on ESPN this weekend, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Aside from the looks, she's a VERY good sportscaster in my opinion. She's had a couple slip-ups in her first few days on ESPN, but she's recovered from them extremely well and managed to fit into the fray of ESPN Sportscenter personalities very well. And it appears I'm not the only person who thinks she's good at what she does:
"Kenny Mayne recently got an extension and will be back on SportsCenter soon. The newest anchor though is Sage Steele from Mid-Atlantic Comcast. She's most famous for getting into an on-air "verbal fight" with Ravens' Coach Brian Billick, but she's also very good at what she does.

Not to get all racial on you, but ESPN has finally made themselves look good after months of bad press. Hiring a female is one thing, but a black female is an especially good move for them from a PR standpoint. This isn't to take anything away from Sage though.....I like her (and you don't hear that from me that often)."
Taken from: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com

And this is not to act as if Danielle Sargeant - ESPN News anchor - never existed, but Sage's local so it means a little more.

I just wonder how long it's going to take Stuart Scott and his crazy lazy eye to get ahold of Sage off-set and give her the Harold Reynolds treatment.

9 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

That's what's up! So what are your takes on the FIRST BLACK FEMALE Mayor of Baltimore?

Anonymous said...

Sheila Dixon? I don't know. I have to pay attention to what's going on before I make an assessment. I know that I am hopeful that she will be able to make a change. Baltimore is so effed up that you have to tackle stuff one problem at a time. First tackle education because the schools suck. Then tackle the crime; then tackle the poverty; then tackle the STD rate. It's a lot to try and fix and it can't happen all at once. I just hope she finds a cause she believes can be changed, grabs ahold, and makes that her legacy as mayor.

It's going to take years to improve the city drastically, but if each mayor takes a cause and grabs it and runs with it, change is gon' come.

Daneger said...

I peeped Sage on ESPN also but I didn't know who she was. That's what's up!!! Didn't know about the Sheila Dixon thing either but I don't pay much attention to B-more. You guys are a wealth of information!!!! LOL.

Anonymous said...

Well, considering you don't live here and it really didn't get the press that it should have gotten, I am not surprised you didn't hear about Sheila Dixon. Baltimore's a small city's big city in the sense that people recognize it as a city, but it's not as popular as other big cities are.

In fact, Baltimore is larger than DC (which is only 10 square miles) yet D.C. gets way more respect and notoriety.

Anyway, you might find this Wikipedia entry interesting.

A. B. said...

". . . his Harold Reynolds on" LMAO!

Sage is really good. She will definitely be a better sportscaster than Sheila Dixon will be a mayor. Sheila will be too busy keeping her family out of jail from all of the "side businesses" she contracted work to while city council pres. But what do I know O'Malley was the worse mayor since, since, Hitler and they made him Governor. Lord help us.

Anonymous said...

AB, you live in Bmore? I didn't know that.

I don't think it's fair to compare the position of mayor of Bmore to Sportscenter anchor. Of course Sage is going to be better than Sheila. Look at what Sheila inherited vs. what Sage inherited. But anyway, I think Sage is going to be great and that Ms. Dixon will be able to make some headway as long as she doesn't try to fix everything right now. One step at a time.

No one person is going to come in and fix Bmore. Everybody who holds the mayorship needs to make the fixing or improvement of some issue/problem their legacy. That way if each mayor grabs ahold of something different, eventually there'll be headway made overall.

Dejavu?

O'Malley is an entirely different monster. Schools arguably got worse, crime rate didn't change, but there was a shytload of "development" by companies like Streuver Bros. who are throwing up condos like nikkas used to throw up the ROCAFELLA sign. WTF? His legacy, development. But whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Oh yeah AB, check out this blog about the crime in Bmore. It'll make you want to move.

Baltimore Crime

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That's messed up -- "Get his Harold Reynolds on," -- but hilarious! Harold's a great sportscaster, so good that for a long time I had no idea he'd been an athlete. He was so comfortable on camera. I don't know where he's working now, but I hope he's doing well.