Monday, March 12, 2007

My mantra for 2007

"Somebody send this post to Adam 'PacMan' Jones."
A week or so ago I was talking with a friend candidly about some of the kids she talks to as a part of her job. In reference to doing something crazy or knowingly making a bad decision I made the candidly jovial statement:
"I got too much to lose!"
She seemed to find the statement refreshing and profound in its simplicity. It's really just what was on my mind at that particular moment in time. It's a simple and obvious statement to make for someone who values his/herself, but oftentimes, it's the simple and obvious that we forget to pay attention to and keep in our minds.

We forget to say "I love you" to those that mean the most to us. We forget to call that friend that we haven't spoken to in a while. We forget to say "Thank You". But these are the simple and obvious things in life that can make your life more meaningful and joy-filled. My purpose in saying something as simple and obvious as "I got too much to lose" is to say that I value where I've come from, where I am, and where I am headed. I have a past, a present, and a future as long as God grants me the time. I understand what I have now and I don't want to lose it, especially not the good. And I also want time to improve upon the bad. I have a plan for my future that I look forward to carrying out and I don't want to lose the opportunity to see it through.

So by having too much to lose, I have something to live for. I have a reason to make good decisions, to treat people the right way, to work hard, to enjoy life.

Our entire conversation (from what I recall) was in the in context of youth (specifically urban youth) making bad decisions or mistakes at a young age and not being able to rebound, thus crippling their potential before they've even had a chance to learn and grow.

Some youth don't feel as if they have anything to lose, so they shouldn't care (about anything). They don't place a value on themselves and what they have already achieved in their short lives, be it large or small. And many are not in environments where they're given any signs of hope for the future. But if we could instill in these kids that they have something to strive for and not just something to lose, but a lot to lose, how might that affect their view of life? I'm not sure, but I think it would make at least a little bit of a difference.

Just some thoughts I've been having over the past few days. But that is definitely my mantra for 2007. Thought I'd share.

8 comments:

jendayi said...

"Thought I'd share." Who asked you to share? No one cares what your mantra is for 2007!

Just kidding. =) I'm feeling mean/funny today.

Dag on real you have too much to lose!! We all have too much to lose. But that's self-esteem and confidence for you. It takes time to get that, which is why most of our urban youth don't feel the same way.

Anonymous said...

I see you are in a funny mood today Jen-degeneres. LOL.

"But that's self-esteem and confidence for you. It takes time to get that, which is why most of our urban youth don't feel the same way."

I agree 100%.

jendayi said...

You betta agree punk!

Anonymous said...

LOL

T.a.c.D said...

seems like I am a day late and .50 short (don't have a dollar...LOL) but seriously, it does come with time and maturity when you can say this is crazy, life is...well like you said, I got to much to lose...that's really the best way to put it...

a lot of young people can't see beyond TODAY and what is going on in that moment...they don't think about tomorrow...they don't think even in the present tense, they think in the MOMENT tense...

they have so much to prove to everyone ELSE, that they lose the fact they only have something to prove to themselves...

Anonymous said...

"they have so much to prove to everyone ELSE, that they lose the fact they only have something to prove to themselves..."

Good point.

Anonymous said...

I was asked to speak at my elementary's school promotional exercise and I have been searching for a topic. I think I just found it, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I hope it goes well.