Wednesday, March 28, 2007

From the FastBall to the ChangeUp

If you have followed this blog of mine from its genesis, you know that I started off in a whirlwind of blogposts. 3, 4, or sometimes 5 per day. From random thoughts to moments in my relationship to personal losses to outings with friends to assessments of one (or many) of the effed up aspects of the city I live in (Baltimore).

But recently, I've slowed down a bit. I hate to admit it (cuz I'm a WebNerd like that), but I was losing the urge to blog. There are several reasons but most of all, I've been starting to wonder how what I convey via this open forum we call a weblog, can be completely misinterpreted (or taken way too seriously) and hinder someone's view of who I am as a person. I mean, anybody can see read this blog. What if someone reads this blog and makes their judgement of who I am based solely off this blog? Would I be comfortable with that? Would I be embarassed or ashamed of some of the stuff I've wrote? My mom has the URL, I don't hear anything from her. But is she really a barometer for the rest of the civilized world? Of course I don't care what every person in the world thinks. But simultaneously, I don't want random people to think that this is all there is to me either. I'm not just hip-hop. I'm not just sports. I'm not just a Paula Patton fanatic. There's more to that guy in the red cap that what's read here.

On top of that, I've been wanting to challenge my ability to write so that I can be a better writer. This is something I don't think I can accomplish by continuing to post my "somewhat cohesive" rants covering a crapload of topics. My buddy L is one of the best writers I know and he tells me I write well. But I read his stuff and I am blown away by his ability. I doubt I'll ever have the ability he does, but I'd like to improve upon what I have right now.

Now though, I think I have the most compelling reason to: 1) stop bloggin altogher, 2) begin to change the focus of what I talk about, or 3) change how I talk about things (read: "less rage and expletives").

This reason is my new job. I rarely talk about my job on this blog becauuse people can get (and have gotten) fired over job-related comments on their blog. In addition, most of what goes on at my job is better conveyed over a drink (LOL). The stuff is just THAT funny. I actually enjoy my job very much so you'd think I would talk about it all the time even if it's indirectly. But nope! I can't do it!

I applied for this new position with my employer back at the end of November. I got invited to interview last month. The interview process consisted of interviewing with 5 different people here: 3 division heads, the person who will be my direct supervisor, and the director of my company (most people would call this person the CEO). I had no idea I'd have to interview with that many people but it let me know the magnitude of the position I'll be filling this Monday coming up. I'm blessed.

An increase in responsibilities, accountability, and time spent away from my desk will undoubtedly lead to less posts on this blog. But hopefully, the quantity will decrease while the quality increases tremendously. I'm thinking that a combination of changing what I post about and changing how I write will add to your experience reading this blog, but also add to my growth as a person.
That is my plan people (cuz you know I got one)! Let's see how this works out...

5 comments:

K.C. said...

homie...that's you in the red cap? I thought that was LL Cool J ! Lmao...for real though...no joke...i did!

Lawrenorder said...

Congratulations on the new gig! I wouldn't know anything about your post-college experience without this lovely site (Ahem! 5th year ring a bell??). But, progress is wonderful, good for you!

Anonymous said...

KC: I can't believe you thought I was LL. But thanks for upgrading me. LOL.

L-Boogie: Thanks a lot. 5th year blah blah blah...

T.a.c.D said...

Congrats on the new job! I kNOW you will succeed and excel!!!! on another NOTE...you can't leave blog land...how else will I keep up with you...with that said, I look forward to the compromise and the "new" blog...
peace

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I doubt I'll completely give it up. Just less frequent posts.