Wednesday, March 14, 2007

NCAA Tournament Coverage: The "play-in" game and my Final Four picks

Really! What else happens in March? You've got the first day of spring, St. Patrick's Day, ... somebody wake me up for MARCH MADNESS!
Last night marked the first game of the 2007 NCAA Tournament. The play-in game between Niagara and Florida (the Gun-Shine State) A&M Univ was one that I reluctantly watched simply because nothing else was on at the time. Like they say, nobody really cares about the play-in game except people with emotional ties to the school. I happen to have none other than I think it'd be cool to see a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) make it to round one...Then get blown out by Kansas by 50 points. LOL.

But unfortunately, this didn't happen so I will have to hear about how Kansas blows out Niagara by 50 points, because you know nobody's watching that game, right? Well, except Kansas fans. Niagara fans are probably going to just hit a bar, get hammered, and pass out by the time the first quarter ends so they don't have to see the beating (read: "carnage").

What most of us consider the real beginning of the tourney begins tomorrow. Thank goodness! I know I'm not the only person tired of hearing about:
  1. How Syracuse and Drexel got snubbed (along with Florida State, West VA, and Kansas State)
  2. How Arkansas should not have made it in the tournament at all
  3. How Arizona and Texas are "dangerous" (even though I'm rooting for K. Durant because he's from Maryland)
  4. Everybody expects Winthrop to beat Notre Dame in Round 1
  5. How Memphis is a weak #2 seed
  6. Anything about Oral Roberts (yes I picked them to win in Rouund 1 too though)
  7. How Georgetown has an "easy" road to the Elite 8 (please! Though I have them in the Final Four)
  8. And last but not least, anything about Joakim Noah (stop it already! He's not even the best big man on his team, see Mr. Horford)
Let's just play the games!

All the prognostication is almost nauseating, which is why I made sure not to listen to any of that crap while making my picks for my obligatory office pool(s). With that said, here's who I have in the Final Four:
  1. FLORIDA:

    They've lost a few games this year and I think that will strengthen their resolve (I sound like George Bush, arghhh). Besides, they're bringing back the same starting 5 that won last year and even though people think Arizona and Maryland might challenge them in that region, it's still inconsistent Arizona and Maryland (my squad, by the way) that we're talking about here.
  2. UCLA:

    I can only see Duke and Pitt being a problem for them until the Elite 8 where they'd most likely see Kansas. But Duke pretty much sucks this year in big games and Pitt doesn't seem strong enough to beat UCLA on the west coast where there'll be a ridiculous crowd advantage. This same advantage will be key in UCLA beating Kansas in the Elite 8
  3. Georgetown:

    I know, I'm a "homer" (see definition #4 here) rooting for MD and Georgetown, but I've like these for as long as I can remember. I'm not taking them because I think they have an easy walk to the Final Four, but because I don't think anyone in that bracket can handle their defense or guard Jeff Green. They'll be challenged by Norf-Click (UNC) in the Elite 8, but unless Hansborough takes that mask off or gets used to it by then, they're losing to John Thompson and the boys
  4. Ohio State:

    I didn't really want to make this pick, but look at the bracket! Who's got a shot at beating them (seriously) except Texas A&M? And if Acie Law IV is off, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell. Mr. Wrinkle-Face (Greg Oden) is not going to have a problem rebounding, dunking, and blocking shots against the likes of Central Connecticut Community College State, Xavier, or Ca$hville Tennessee.
Of these four teams, I have Florida beating UCLA and Georgetown beating Ohio State. And I have Florida beating Georgetown in the championship (guess I'm not THAT MUCH of a homer, huh). We'll see how things play out.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for some MARCH MADNESS!!!!!

11 comments:

K said...

What else can I say.. Go Gators!

And before I get labeled a band wagonner... they got my tuition, they gave me my degree, I can cheer damnit it. LOL

Smooches!

Anonymous said...

I feel you on your reasoning. Too bad the Blue Jays are like division 17 when it comes to any sport that isn't lacrosse. Then I could root for my alma mater.

Thanks for visiting and make sur eyou come back soon!

K said...

Thank you for the link because I had no idea what a Blue Jay was. LOL.

But in the end of the day unless you are throwing the ball or throwing "love" at the ball player.. it makes no big difference.

Smooches!

Anonymous said...

Definitely not doing either of those

;-)

jendayi said...

I have Florida beating UCLA and Ohio State beating Florida. But I may change my brackets around after some more discussions.

I'm ready for some March Madness too.

Anonymous said...

Xavier Gurl girl says Go Muskies! Although I've had my share of Buckeyes (Gawd bless Amurika!), I always gotta root for the alma mater.

Anonymous said...

"I've had my share of Buckeyes"

Oh, I bet you have...

Lawrenorder said...

Let me venture back on to this blog and share my little bit of ridiculousness with y'all.

1. GO HEELS!
(I know I'm a Duke fan gone wrong, but I can't go against fam this year. Work it out, STRETCH!--Brandan Wright if you didn't know)

2. March Madness begins with the ACC Tournament.
(And we all know how that ended. *Ahem* Go Heels!)

3. Is it just me or does FL not really seem interested in winning this thing?

4. When they play all 40mins you'd be hard pressed to find a squad better than those Heels.
(And trust Roy's had his foot in their asses on that one)

5. Last one... Didn't the NCAA pull in a bit more $$ in the UNC-Illinois final than the FL-whoever the heck they beat final?

*Nothin' could be finer than to be in Carolina!*
Long weekends are EVERY weekend in March :)
--end randomness--

Anonymous said...

Wright < Durant. If UNC has to play Texas, that'll decide the game. That is, unless Pyscho T has a monster of a game. But since he's had that mask, he's been kinda average.

The Heels are good and I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all. But I think that their youth might work against them in the later rounds. Just my $0.02.

Lawrenorder said...

Can the mask and there's a different story for UNC. Go Heels! I'll see you basketball-loving, March Madness fanatics in East Rutherford, NJ!!!
*shudder*New Jersey*Yikes!*

Anonymous said...

:-)