Tuesday, August 23, 2005

PHOTOS: HOW MUCH I LOVE SOUTH FLORIDA: Fort Lauderdale

Many of you probably read my short blog entry about me being Fort Lauderdale bound. Well, that was from Aug. 18-21. T and I took a mini-vacation to Fort Lauderdale and we had a damn ball! I have a bunch of pictures to show you guys and also some notable things to mention. Here we go...



We left EARLY Thursday morning. And I mean EARLY as in the eye-crud was so thick it dried on my eye like Elmer's Glue. We got a lift to the airport by T's dad and made it there in pretty good time. It was a fairly short flight (about 2 hours and 15 minutes). Once we got to Fort Lauderdale T was hungry so we got some food in the airport.


You can see T looking real cute at the Fort Lauderdale airport in line to get something to eat.





Notice she has a HUGE smile on her face while eating this nice breakfast. Meanwhile, look at ya boy!



Notice that I am NOT eating. Okay, let me stop faking, it's because I wasn't hungry! Also, notice that my sometimes "wall" eye is looking directly at your a$$. LMAO! Anyway, the Fort Lauderdale airport was nice, but we had to bigger places to go, like the Avalon Waterfront Inn. CHYEAH!



So we take a cab to the hotel and get ourselves ready for some "fun in the sun" as T would say. Here's a nice picture we took at the hotel.




So we get checked-in and alladat and head to water. I will be keeping the beach pictures to myself (so so sorry).



Just to give you an idea of how wealthy the area of Ft. Lauderdale is, I'll give you a couple pictures of a high-rise that was being built right on the water. The residences in the building start at $1.15 million!!!










After we left the beach and changed our clothes, we took a walk down the main strip of Ft. Lauderdale Beach and ended up coming to a small shopping center with a few restaurants including Hooters (where we ended up getting food) and Fat Tuesdays (alcohol...YES!!!).












We ended up eating at Hooters which really SUCKED! I don't recommend going at all. The girls are low-budget and that tacky outfit just doesn't do it for me. Besides, the hamburger tasted like chicken! After Hooters, I did a chance to light up a nice stogie! It's tradition for me (shot out to WG)! Out of town on vacation, light up a cigar (preferably a vanilla or cherry-wrapped cigar...I love those!). So while we were at Fat Tuesdays sippin on some daquiri's, I ran and got a cigar and lit it up!




YES, I think I'm cool...Don't HATE!



Amidst all this, I got a chance to get some nice pictures of T. I think these are cute.






The next day we took a water taxi to the movies to see Four Brothers. Again, I highly recommend checking this movie out! It was GREAT! On the way to the movies, we saw a RACK of people's million dollar homes, sitting right on the water. These houses were HUGE and very ornate. They were owned by stars and businessmen. Basically people who have money beyond belief. We even saw a boat that costs $35 million. Check it out.






We went to the Los Olas Riverfront (which was a very nice little shopping center). Here are some pictures...


















We also ate in a real ritzy area after the movies. This area seemed to the the Dupont Circle (for all my DC folks) or Mt. Vernon (for all my Bmore folks) of Fort Lauderdale. For everyone who really thinks about this, you'll know what I mean. I like to call these areas the "diamond district" because the men are just as high maintenance as the women (hint hint). Anyway, I was quite disturbed when we left the restaurant because TWO GUYS (hint...damn..hint) were waiting at the table next to us for T and I to get up. So I paid the bill and when we were getting up a GUY says to me "Do you mind if we take your table? I see you were KEEPING IT WARM for us". FELLAS, all I have is one question. What dude that you know says "I see you were keeping it warm for us." Think about that, would YOU ever say that to another GUY? Hell no! Me either. So needless to say, because we were in the "diamond district" I was quite bothered by this, which T got a HUGE kick out of as usual. Aside from that incident, the Los Olas Riverfront was a GREAT experience.



Saturday we took a trip to MIAMI. South Beach BABY! I was really excited about this because Miami is one of my FAVORITE places to be. We had to get up at the crack of dawn to catch a boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. The ride took us about 2.5 hours but the scenery was really nice.










While in South Beach we ate a the Lincoln Road Cafe on Lincoln Road. The food was really really good. We were walking around on Lincoln Road in search of a place to eat when one of those mini torrential tropical downpours hit, which really blew me. But we ended up standing under an umbrella at the hostess desk of a lil cafe and ended up going in to dine. The food was suprisingly good. But they served your sodas to you in a coke can with an accompanying goblet which was HILARIOUS to me!









One of the most interesting and crazy things I saw in Fort Lauderdale was this sandbar that's in the middle of a bay. Now keep in mind that a bay is like the size of a river basically, so it can get really really deep and wide. So we're coming back from Miami and there's this sandbar in the middle of the water and people have their boats parked (anchored) around this sandbar (probably about 50 yards in diameter). The crazy part is that these people were STANDING IN THE WATER. Imagine riding the Potomac River or Baltimore Harbor on a boat and seeing someone standing right in the middle of it and the water only comes up to their chest. Well, that's exactly how it looked. Check it out. You can even see a red and black hot dog stand in the middle of one of the pictures.










Once we got back from Miami, we hit the beach again and T played around in the water for a while. Afterward we headed back to the hotel to get dolled up for our last night in Fort lauderdale. We ended up having a nice dinner at a restaurant called Sloppy Joes. Nice conversation as well. Overall, it was a VERY nice trip and I had a really really good time. I wish you guys could have been there to experience it with us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you had a good time! you too are the best! be good in miami (and get double prints of the eye candy for me;) sorry, T :\

Anonymous said...

LMAO! I'm gonna be good in Miami. You tryna get me in trouble with that eye candy comment though.

Anonymous said...

As long as the pics are afar, nothing up close and personal

T

Anonymous said...

SEE! I told you!!!