Monday, August 1, 2005

SOCIAL OUTCRY: 50 cent clothes, water, and watches....all OVERPRICED

For those of us who like to waste money on overpriced products targeted at the "urban" market, here's the 50 CEnt MP3 player watch. Priced at $486

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/342/C4287/

Now, here's a watch that performs the same function, for $180:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/7899/

"Tell em why you mad son, tell em why you man!"

Do "they" think we're dumb? Do you think that because I like Jay-Z and 50 Cent; because I wear baggy clothes; because I wear a button-up and blazer; because I blast my rap music when you pull up next to me at a stoplight...That I AM DUMB????

Come on man! Like T.I. said..."You don't know ME!"

Man, we gotta think about what type of respect people have for our intelligence when they start doing stuff like this. I mean, there's a $300 mark-up on a product because 50's name is on it...First and foremost, don't think I don't realize that I can get the same product for a lot cheaper. Secondly, don't think that I am gonna buy something simply because Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is associated with it. Hell, after that last album, I don't know if I'd buy anything 50 Cent sponsors! I won't rant and rave about this people.

But I will say, seek and ye shall find. Don't think that the 50 Cent MP3 player is the ONLY mp3 player out there! Search around for comparable products before you just run out and buy what you're favorite rapper is sponsoring and wearing/using/etc. I know that it's hard to resist those fresh S. Carter tennis shoes (hell, I got a pair). I know it's hard not to cop that new Rocawear tee...But daggonit, be smart about it. Catch it on sale. Go look around before you head straight to your usual spot to cop an overpriced product. This is something that I AM WORKING ON right now! So I'm preaching to myself as well. But I realize that I have to be smarter and pay for quality and value rather than a name. Not that rappers aren't behind quality products, but you guys know what I mean. We're smart and it's time we act like it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Water?! Dasani will do just fine. Besides, any beverage being promo-ed by Dame Dash (or any rapper for that matter) IMMEDIATELY goes suspect. "Stimulate your mind man" and think before you buy. Word up, Mike!

Anonymous said...

Dasani? Nah...That's Coke minus the sugar and coloring. I'll use my Brita filter. We get hoodwinked all the time. It's a lot of stuff we don't know about that goes on.