Friday, November 4, 2005

I'M PISSED

This is some disrespectful -ish to do. I don't want to call it racist. But there's something VERY VERY wrong with this situation. Not a surprise that it's in Texas.


"6. Thug Day in Dallas High School. Students at Dallas, Texas' Highland Park High School dressed as gang members and rap stars during the recent Homecoming week. Meanwhile, a Dallas Civil Rights leader called the tradition racially insensitive. One of Homecoming's themes was Senior Thug Day, a day on which students sported Afro wigs, fake gold teeth, baggy jeans, bandanas and gold chains. For Fiesta Day, a student brought a leaf blower to school mocking hispanics. According to school principal Patrick Cates, no one was punished and less than a dozen students were asked to take off some of the clothing. Helen Williams, the District Communications Director, said 18 students were sent to the principal's office for inappropriate attire during Thug Day. No students were reprimanded on Fiesta Day. Students feel Thug Day was blown out of proportion and that they weren't being racists, but simply having fun."


Then again, Imma go ahead and call it RACIST!

This is taken from this URL (bottom of page):

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/7787


What I wonder is the racial make-up of the student body because I want to assume that these are not black folks b/c we wouldn't mock ourselves like that. And we wouldn't mock Mexicans like that either. But I don't want to str8 up assume b/c that as gotten me in trouble before. But I don't believe that black people would do that and I am highly disappointed if that's the case.

Some shyt just ain't funny! This is my "just-got-finished" reading response. After it marinates I might feel a little different but we'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lmao @ the leaf blower!!! people are so cruel (self included). i just got a mental pic is all :\ seriously though... while i'd "feel some typa way" if i saw a white dude sporting an afro wig... can it really be construed as racist? firstly... the image that they were immulating is excatly the stupid shit that nelly and 50 and ying 'n yang perpetuate. additionally, are we saying it's okay to buy those artists' CDs but they (white folx) shouldn't buy-in to the image? which one do we want it to be? furthermore, white folks don't get up in arms about trina and ciara rockin bone straight, blonde weaves(lol).

Anonymous said...

I feel ya, but its just not right. I mean, this is minstrel show and black-face type stuff in a way. Not completely, but they're not doing all this to say "you guys are cool", they're doing it to say, you're clowns! That's what I don't like. And whether it's racist or not, it shows what they think about minorities. Some shit just ain't funny.

My thoughts on this are much deeper than a blog comment so maybe I'll just call you so we can argue. OR maybe, you'll come out of hiding and have a drink wit ya boy one day? Tell J I said waddup!

Hmmmmmnnnnnn....