Friday, February 9, 2007

Technology is OUR friend: "GPS Shoes make people findable"

"Quantum Satellite Technology, a line of $325 to $350 adult sneakers that hit shelves next month. It promises to locate the wearer anywhere in the world with the press of a button. A children's line will be out this summer."

I think this is a very useful application of GPS (Global Positioning System) technology. We all are probably aware that if our cars have OnStar (or some sort of satelitte radio receiver), we have a cellphone, a GPS-enabled watch or bracelet, that we can be tracked by GPS and located pretty much anywhere on the planet.

I've always thought that the next step in GPS tracking technology would be tracking people by embedding chips on their person somewhere. This is some real "Total Recall" type stuff, but I would not be surprised if at some point during my children's (or grandchildren's) lifetime this were to happen. Of course it would probably require government mandate (read, "law") for this to happen, but I still don't think that it's outside the realm of possibility.

But of course, there's a financial catch to owning these GPS-enabled shoes. This IS America right? The home of capitalism.
"The sneakers work when the wearer presses a button on the shoe to activate the GPS. A wireless alert detailing the location is sent to a 24-hour monitoring service that costs an additional $19.95 a month."
So naturally (or should I say: "As capitalism would have it"), safety comes with a nice little pricetag. But if I had children I think this would be a pretty worthwhile investment to make. You can't put a price on the life of a loved one.

You can learn more about the motivation behind creating this shoe, its capabilities and uses, and availability in this article on Yahoo! News. Or here, http://www.isaacdaniel.com/.

2 comments:

Daneger said...

I don't know about this one pimpin'. It sounds good in theory but most things that turn for the worst do. I doubt these shoes will even appeal to kids unless they are made by Nike...LOL.

Unknown said...

I don't think this is going to be about stylish shoes for kids that are older and are starting to care about that stuff. I think this is going to be about safety for parents of young children. Kids that aren't even out of elementary school yet or even past the 3rd grade.

I'd market these shoes to the parents of those children. Or I'd be even smarter and pitch this idea to NIKE in hopes of developing some sort of ridiculously lucrative partnership. Because if I can't make a stylish shoe with this technology included. Or if people won't buy my shoe because it doesn't have a swoosh, then perhaps I could sell my shoe to Nike, let them redesign it a little, and then we both win.