Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It's the little things that make life great!

"There comes a day in your life/When you want to kick back/Straw hat on the porch/When you old perhaps/Want to gather your thoughts/Have a cold one, Brag/To your grand kids on how life is golden" -- NaS
I had another one of those moments this weekend that made me realize just how special my family is. Not that I need a reminder, but every once in a while it seems like something happens that just touches my heart and soul.

I spent the night at my mom's house this past weekend because I had a lot to do on the PG side of things and sleeping there was the most convenient place for me to sleep. In the past few years I have done more visiting of my mom's house than I have sleeping over. Visiting on the weekend just to hang out for a few hours or just to stop by and say 'Hey'. But sleeping there isn't the most comfortable place for me when you consider I'm about 6'3" and my parents still have the twin mattress in my old bedroom from when I was living there. Also keep in mind that during my senior year of high school I was about 6'1" tall so the bed was too small back then too! LOL. But it's either there or the love seat in the basement that's even smaller.

Back to my story though. Sunday morning, I got up early early early to go and hoop at Run-N-Shoot with a few of my boys. I haven't played basketball since the cruise, but my man Bay loves to play ball so we got together with some other friends and went to hoop. But before I left that house, my mom came in the room and wanted to use the computer to put some songs on her iPod that my brother gave her.

Background: My mom is slightly technically challenged. She's great at typing and organizing things, but the InterWeb is really not her area of expertise. I guess that's what I'm here for?

So I explain to my mother how to import a CD and copy it to her iPod. Pretty simple stuff for me, but it was a little complicated for her because she's unfamiliar with the whole iTunes/iPod integration process. But once she got it, she was very excited and that made me feel good. After that, she had me explain to her how to use the Palm Pilot I gave her a month or so ago. So I explained that to her and again, she was really excited about having a new organizational toy. LOL.

These two moments are simple and not grandiose by any means, but they really made me feel good because my mom is not bashful about showing just how happy and appreciative she is. I love seeing her happy and she's that way about 95% of the time. That's why her nickname is SUNSHINE! She can brighten anyone's day.

To top off those two moments, I got the following email (with a picture attached that I'd asked her to send me) from my mother yesterday that simply made my day:
"I will be sending you some others [pictures] soon. I appreciate you showing me how to copy music to my library and then transfer to my ipod. Also for showing me how to use palm pilot.

THANKS - I HAVE THE GREATEST SONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! IN THE WORLD.

LOVE YOU

PS-- ON the way out to pick up kids (Zoray, Demarco, Preston and Diamond and Zander) and go snow boarding (on cardboard boxes that is)

LIFE IS SO GREAT!"
For me, that was one of the greatest emails I could ever get! On top of everything else in that email, I couldn't help but be tickled by the fact that my mother (who is roughly twice my age) is taking my rambunctious and always-high-off-candy cousins to go snowboarding "ghetto-style"! LOL. I LOVE IT!

Check out the flick though:



This picture is from when I was coming in the house from my buddy Booze's wedding reception. I was actually the Best Man. Hence the rose on my lapel. I think this is a pretty nice picture of me so I figured I'd post it. At least, I think it's better than this one.

Anybody who knows me knows that my mother and I have a very special relationship. I was definitely a momma's boy as a kid and even though my mother let me grown and become a man, she still says those little things from time-to-time that remind me of childhood and remind me of how strong our bond is. I love her so much and she's 100% right, "LIFE IS SO GREAT!"

5 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

That is TOTALLY beautiful to me...and you are right, knowing you and your mother I can totally appreciate and "picture" the whole story...life is so precious, and it is totally about those small moments!

Unknown said...

Most definitely.

Daneger said...

Man you should have hit me while you were down this end so I could have given you the money for those Roots/Lupe/LB tickets. I was chilling at the house the entire weekend. And I could have come up to Run & Shoot and dropped 45 on your head Kobe/Gilbo style...LMAO!!!

It is What It Is... said...

Yes...its the "The Little Things that Matter the Most" - Nice Pic too!!!

Anonymous said...

@Daneger: Dane, you're funny. Get your lazy butt off the couch and take a drive to Bmore. LOL.

@It Is What It Is: Thank you.