Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Explanation: DC Metro Area Slang

Disclaimer: I didn't make these words up and I did not come up with the definitions.

Some of these I still use (actually quite a few), but some of these I don't use at all. A couple I have never even heard of. In any event, here's an explanation for those of you who wonder what I am saying at times...

THE DC/METRO AREA EBONICS DICTIONARY

ASS'D OUT - to be left hanging, stood up: "Man, we was sposed to meet at the library but he left me ass'd out!"

BAMMA - a person who is not very trendy, whether it be fashion or music: "Ugh! Look at his shape-up...and his beat-up Pro Wings. Hes such a bamma"

BLOWN - very upset/disappointed

BOOSTED - to be excited, proud: "He was so boosted when he found out he got an A on his history test"

BUN - v. to make one a steady girl/boyfriend: "She's the complete package; looks, smarts and she cool to be around. i had to bun her"
n. a pretty girl/boy: "I was looking at ur sister yesterday, and I didnt realize but, she's a bun"

CARRY - to disrespect someone: "Jimmy tried to holla at Crystal, but she carried him by walking away"

CHILL MODE - calm, collected: "Afterschool, I just be on chill mode, dawg"

CRUSH - to consume speedily or with vigor; or to defeat handily (see PUNISH): "Those Steakums were bomb, man we crushed them joints"

GET YOUR MAN - have success, whether with a girl or in sports. Refers to competitive situations: "Ima get my man today. We gonna punish Suitland"

GUMP - a nerd and/or wimp: "I dared him to touch her butt, but he a gump"

JAH, JI -kinda/sorta or very, depending on emphasis: "She is jah phat"

JONING - making fun of another person: "Did u see that dudes shape-up? They was joning at the lunch table all period"

KIRK (v. to KIRK OUT) - to get very mad, or excited beyond ones normal range: "If the teacher wasnt there, he woulda kirked on that dude"

LUNCHING - joking around, acting foolishly: "During my free periods, we just be walking around or straight lunching, cuz we be bored"

NO BULL,BULLSH*T, B-SH*T- to mean something truthful; equivalent to "Im telling the truth": "Man, thats exactly what happened. No bull"

OVERCOMPENSATE - to do more than is nessacary in a given situation by showing off: "I mean, i know its hot but stop overcompensating man, put your shirt back on"

PRESSED - to be annoying, conceited: "He was so pressed to show everyone he got an A; he gets on my nerves"

PUNISH - to dispense with readily, to handle easily; deals with sexual intercourse when used in reference to girls

ROCK - to wear or sport. "You need to gimme back my damn AJA IMANI headband so i can rock it with this shirt I got to match"

SACK CHASER (ie Golddigger)- A woman who is only interested in a man for his money

SHORT - unfortunate: "I cant give u a ride, young. either ask Chris or u short"

SICE - to over exaggerate: "Tamika not even that tight Isaac Ji Siced her.

SLAM - directly: "He wasn't looking and the ball hit him slam in the head"

SLUMP - to knock down and/or out with extreme force. "Dog, you keep f*ckin around with girl like that and imma have to slump your wack ass."

SMASH - have sexual intercourse: "Ima ja blown cuz I went over her house, and her parents were there, so I couldnt smash"

SON-SON - same as "dawg" and "dogg", but normally someone younger: "Young, dont talk about Jason. Thats my son-son"

STEAL - to punch, assault someone: "Young, if u dont get out my face, Ima steal u slam in ur jaw"

STOUT - A very attractive male or female in both the face and body.

TIP DRILL - A woman or man who is only attractive from the neck down.

WACK - unfavorable, uncool, unpoplar or very loser-like. 1. "What is with this wack-ass grade you gave me? i got all the right answers and you still gave me a 'D', man"
2. "Do you know how wack you look right now? If I ever see you wear those highwater jeans and small-ass t-shirt again....."

YOUNG, JOE - equivalent to "son" or "kid" in NY; similar to "yo" also: "Young, Im sick of school" or "Chill out, joe. It aint even that serious"

JRon's Requests:
FAKIN' - Fakin is when you are acting like you are someone or something you obviously are not, have not been, and most likely never will be. This would be equivalent to frontin' in places like NY/NJ. For example, you could be faking like you are a thug (i.e - "faking like he go hard"). You could be "faking like you got money" when you are really as broke as the rest of us.

LUNCHIN' - this basicaly means you are tripping, crazy, lost your mind, or making people laugh. For example, you are lunchin' if you pay $100 for a $10 shirt. And you are also lunching if you are in the club dancing like you have back and leg spasms.

PHAT-TO-DEATH - This really needs no explanation. This is strictly for men to describe the ladies. Free from 106 & Park basically sums this one up. This means you have the body of a goddess! 36-24-36! If I had to describe this in brand names I'd say Hooters, 15 Minute Abs, Apple Bottoms, Thigh Master, and "Your local Nail Shop HERE".

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if this helps or hurts my understanding, but at least YOU know what you're saying.

Anonymous said...

L & L,

These are actually not MY words. It was forwarded to me by a friend. I guess I should put that disclaimer on the blog entry.

Like L said, I think it's all pretty clear as to what the words mean. You don't have to have a degree in German or Writing Seminars to understand these.

And it jah boosted me that L didn't start lunching after reading this entry. Yo!

Anonymous said...

I'm not as confused as you may think I am. I read the entry. It was interesting. I rarely pay attention well enough to notice area slang, unless it's a noun in which case I ask for clarification. Perhaps I should say, thanks for sharing "Explanation: DC Metro Area Slang" it cleared a lot of things up and I'll be looking to see if some of these words are actually in use.

Anonymous said...

From a young bredren born and raised in the DC Metropolitan "errrea", I think that this document is a good start, but as expected, is far from comprehensive.

With that said, I would like to add fakin', lunchin' and phat-to-death to the document!

Bones, would you like to do the honors in defining, so that my commentary does not go on to long?

Anonymous said...

JRon, I GOT YOU!

Anonymous said...

u missing roller and bopper

Anonymous said...

for the most part, you got your shit on point. Don't forget "crucial" "vicious" and i think someone already pointed out, "roller/bopper"

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I figure I'm missing a lot of shyt by now since I haven't even been in the DC/PG area since like 1998. I go back home all the time but it's different coming home to visit than it is sitting on the corner talking shyt with your friends.

Anonymous said...

Dont forget "ate it" like "ah he ate it like sh*t young" you see him bust his a**! or "Joint" It describes a thing or place as in "pass me that joint right there" or as in "that joint we went to the other night"

"You killed it" or "I killed them joints" - used to describe dirty shoes or when you finished your drink or food really fast...tooooo fast.

Also..."Oh-kay" for the ladies like when we confirm something or someone is the Bomb or not lol as in hes perfect or hes the loser I said he was!

"Im straight" for no thank you or Im good, found well.

All in all I have also picked up some words from other places like MIA- "why you tryin me" for why are you questioning me .... "What they do?.. for what's up! but in MIA girls sound like boys!!!!!

I went to Houston....but all they say is "I cut fo yuh" ...lol or You need to stay on it! for get that money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

YUNG...WUT BOUT THIRST OR THIRSTY
THIRST(THIRSTY)- TO GIVE EXTREME ATTENTION TO A SPECIFIC TASK
"YUNG HE WUZ SO THIRSTY BOUT THAT GURL THAT HE BOUGHT HER EVERYTHIN SHE WANTED"

Anonymous said...

so crazy!!! I moved from dc YEARS ago, but it seems like my vocabulary just evolved to include all of the words. Like DC is in my DNA. or maybe, I was just speaking to much slang to begin with :-)

I would add "fry" to your list though. Synonym for "jonin"

Anonymous said...

"Like DC is in my DNA" I feel you.

Anonymous said...

You gotta add some phases like:
Shit's the bomb! and
Tight as a mug!

Anonymous said...

jont - anything; as in "that jont was bangin'" or "man she wouldn't let me hit that jont"

ruffed - taken; beat his a** down; as in "joe we walked in to 7-11 and took the blunts, he straight ruffed them" or "young we was at the eastside and i ruffed dude"

beast - dmv was first with this; "you don't know? i'm a beast."

bum sauce - wack; as in "have you seen him hoop, he's bum sauce"

youngin - dmv original again; referring to a female or a youngster "youngin was all over me" or"no you can't go with us youngin"

slim - referring to a female or just a common reference to anyone.

see ya - another dmv original; as in catch me if you can or holler at ya. wesley messed it up with that "see a wouldn't wanna be ya"

holler - dmv original; talk to a youngin.

huh man - in agreement with; "man shawty looks sweet" response would be "huh man" shouts to the good essence

like oh - as in i don't care- oh short for oh well; as in "man she got a man but i'm like oh"

bob - a blunt; shouts to the legend marley

jacks - cigarettes, preferably newports

dont forget bammin out in your bamma def too. like going out

Anonymous said...

what about Hot? as in to be doing some criminal activity blatantly.
why you lightn' that bob in the mall, son. that shit hot.

junx?

Anonymous said...

Off the strength - because of.. "i said that off the strength that he was gonna .."

grin - smirk at someone a downward-looking to someone..

Anonymous said...

yun(g) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA7BZk-PFQQ

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Silver Spring and have been living in California off and on for about 6 years now and this list really brought me back. Some of those words I hadn't heard in years. I had forgotten all about ruffed. Cause we would ruff shit from slevens on the regular. I think you need to add "A rack of" to the list i.e. "there are a rack of bammas in this party. We need to dip out."

Anonymous said...

Great list and extra's in the comment. I lived in D.C. and MD and then moved to NY and back again. This one is used because of D.C not being a state. "Fed's" or "federalies" = meaning the local police. "Man go head . . . before the Federalies come get you" or "Watch out for the Feds"

Anonymous said...

don't forget:

'i'm mad...'-without really being mad.

heated-pissed.

jerk, loser (self explanatory), punk (weakling, pussy)

(oh) true- i agree.

'...liiike' usually said near the end of something. "you lyin liike." it's just emphasis.

although i could be wrong and these may not be original dc metro slang. =\

Anonymous said...

it's like fresh water to a weary soul. i live out West now and haven't used any of these joints since 1998-ish. Mannnn, takes me back. I'm boosted. Thanks for all the commentary. Ruffed, bum sauce, and rack of were necessary additions. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to feel like this post is a public service. I'm glad so may people have chimed in on it and kept it going. Thanks to you all!

Anonymous said...

kill:to be slightly suprised//and sometimes like"no bull"
moe:son,dog.etc...
fry:to go on,jonin..."he went on his..
smacked:high as hell
flat-out:fresh as #ell on point
blicky:can be used to describe anything...lighter...joint..etc...

Anonymous said...

i'm blown nobody on here has said fuck you mean. 6 years in private school and even I know that. sums up every day on Metro.

Anonymous said...

Ok u missed slot of words and some of these words I have been using my whole life and I thought they were normal us terms but now that I think about it they aren't

First of all you forgot drumskul which just means your stupid

U also for got "imma still you" now for all u losers out there still is pronounced kind of like stiel. And it's sated fast

Tellme said...

straight: good, fine

with the quickness: right away

beast (98ish) the best, a killer

joint: general noun for an object

hemmed up: in trouble, done

smacked: high (usually on weed)

good lookin: shortened from "good looking out," in response for someone doing something for you.

bodeens or deens (like beaudine): cops

dip: leave

yak: crack rock

choke: weed

wet: perfect. like shooting a swish, that's wet

bang out: beat up

alright: bye, like end of phone conversation

Tellme said...

posted: staying

Tellme said...

go hard: man up, be fearless

hot: attract negative attention

jonks: thing (like joint)

cheesin: grinning, goofy like

mug: exclamation, something completely so (like: she's thick as a mug)

Tellme said...

blick: an object or thing, also heard it being used for stealing (shoplifting not punching)

crack: punch (like steal)

lover: dude, man

Tellme said...

cut, cutty: not good. Like "her body thick, but face is cut"

i mixed up yak up top: that's for drink, not rock (yak is coke or rock in southwest)

bent: drunk

grittin: mean muggin, or starin down

amigo: latin peep

Anonymous said...

This takes me back...I grew up in DC for 21 years and just moved back to the "errea", so this is a good refresher. I remember these ones as well:

bumpin - somthing was real tight (tight may have come from the errea as well) i.e. - that song was bumpin young.

slummin' - putting up a sorry performance i.e., the bullets were slummin the other day man

wellin'/wellington park - lying or exagerating the truth. i.e. man, that bama always be wellin

snub/smooch - to "steal" or hit somebody off the top

critical = crucial/vicious - critical was used to define the final blow or what did a person in.

LOL, then I remember when people used to be ready to fight and they would get in each other's faces and say "step young, step". Or when you wanted to get with a girl you would ask her, "can I have a chance?"

And for the record, the abbreviation for Timberlands is "Tim-BOs", not Tims.
Y'all took me back...God bless.

Anonymous said...

loafin' - chilling out, not doing anything: "Man I was straight loafin' on my couch watching Original Pokemon on Sunday."

Anonymous said...

roller - a girl sleeping with a lot of dudes

Ijuannie said...

Here's a new one I hear the kids say, "you got me ga!" I mostly hear females say this. I think it means annoyed, disturbed or mad.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of things girls from DC say, check this out, http://mcarroll4716.blogspot.com/2012/01/video-sh-dc-girls-say.html

Anonymous said...

Love this! My man from DC (me from atl) and sometimes I just don't know what the hell he saying. It makes sense now.

Anonymous said...

What is a creep?

Anonymous said...

This jont was tight yung! LOL