Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Sheryl Swoope's Right Out the Closet


Sheryl Swoope's Comes Out

This is a pretty interesting story in the sense that this will probably give more women in the WNBA the confidence to come out about their sexuality. And I think it will ALSO give more men (let's not be naive folks) in professional sports the heart to do the same.

Like it says in the article, a couple guys already have, but they were either retired or not at a superstar's status in their sport. Sheryl Swoopes is the reigning WNBA MVP! This is HUGE! I remember back when Olympic swimmer Greg Louganis (sp?) came out. I didn't really understand it back then and the ramifications it had within the sport of swimming, but now that I am older, I can understand how motivational a statement like Sheryl's can become for others who feel "trapped" (shot out to R. Freaky Kelly...Maybe he'll be next to come out).

So now the clock starts ticking on the first male athlete of substantial status to come out the closet. Personally, I think he'll be ridiculed and castigated to no end by most people he has played with. Maybe not in the public eye, but people will be pissed. And I could definitely see an ass-whooping happening in an NFL or NBA locker room. But unfortunately, that's the society we live in. One of little tolerance. I admittedly fall into this category myself. And hopefully most people are like me and are trying to be more open-minded.

But please keep in mind everyone, that there is a damn line that has to be drawn when it comes to tolerance and open-minded-ness (wow, is that a word). Because (in the words of Cedric the Entertainer) "Imma grown ass man dog!" And some things, a grown ass man just don't do! Or in this case, become tolerant of.

Peace!