Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Official Street Cards

I am not so sure about these cards:



http://www.officialstreetcards.com/

Seems like these are going to tread the line between humorous and offensive pretty closely. I like a good joke here and there, but oftentimes I find myself laughing while simultaneously saying "That's just wrong!" This might be one of those situations. Just like watching the Boondocks the other night and they had an episode where Martin Luther King, Jr. was still alive and gave a sermon/speech at a rally (that was actually promoted as a party) and used the word "nigger" incessantly. That kinda made me laugh but at the same time had me saying "Damn, that's kinda effed-up!"

Anyway, alot of times I think that products like Street Cards and other Malibu's Most Wanted type products are created by people outside the black community who have no true knowledge of what they're really depicting. But a lot of times these companies hire people from these neighborhoods who are used to give them ideas for these products. So while I may find some of these cards funny (I ain't gonna lie, I may), at the same time I will have this internal confliction as to whether or not I should be upset by it or humored by it.

1 comment:

Lawrenorder said...

Offensive. It's one thing to humor yourself with aspects of your culture but to humor yourself with the issues that are more than what they appear to be on the surface is irresponsible. It's like political cartoons, it makes light of the problem without consideration for remedy.