Tuesday, January 31, 2006

St. Louis Police Get Their Kicks In...

For those of you who haven't already heard or read about this, here's a story of yet another alleged police brutality situation involving a black male.

I only know what I have read and what the video shows. So here's what I think.

1) When you run from police, you get f&cked up if they catch you. Every young black male assumes this and they expect this. It's NOT to say that is right and should be accepted by any means, but that's just the way it is. So when you run from the cops AND ram a police car, you're gonna get beat down excessively. Why? Because when you run you piss police off! I remember when I was in high school and me and my boys got caught up and we had an opportunity to try and run from the police. The officer said "Don't run! Because when you run and I catch you, you're gonna pay for all that running I did!" Even before that experience, I knew that police will beat the crap out of you if they feel the need. So to ram a police car might get you shot (not just beat up)! This dude rammed a car. In a police officer's mind, this probably means that their life is being threatened. And even if it's not, they're so mad that you had the audacity to ram a police car that they're gonna take their frustrations out on you.

2) This may not be the popular opinion among Black folk, but I think that this wasn't all that excessive. I mean, it was some extra kicks and ankle stomps in there that were unnecessary. BUT, I can imagine the struggle that went on and I am pretty sure that this dude wasn't exactly saying "Okay fellas, just cuff me". He was resisting arrest. And as we always see. These supposedly well-trained cops really just turn into scared human beings like the rest of us and go into survival mode when they have to subdue someone who's not trying to get cuffed. Again, I am not saying that they needed to use as much force as they did b/c I would have to have been there to determine that. BUT, I have seen worse and I think that dude set himself up by running from them and on top of that ramming a police car. He didn't deserve it, but he should have expected it.

3) If you don't commit the crime, then you don't have to worry about getting your a$$ beat down. Don't run from the police. Don't ram a police car. Then maybe we won't even have to worry about determining whether you were beat to a pulp or beat just enough to cuff you and laugh at you in the squad car on the way to the station. CRIME DOES NOT PAY!

No comments: